Discuss Foreign flags and foreign fittings in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

It's a flexy bend for non standard angles. It's suddenly got busy so I'll post some stuff later. I have a DB in Finland for your consideration and some old Soviet street lighting overheads I snapped this morning.

So here I am in Italy with a bunch of stuff with Schuko plugs on. Schuko is one of the options here, increasingly widespread, but for neatness and compactness (and it is very neat and compact) the original Italian CEI 23-50 sockets are still installed. These come in four flavours; 10A and 16A with or without earth, although most sockets are earthed. The pins of the 10A spina luce (=lighting) are on the same 19mm centres as Schuko but 4mm instead of 4.8, while the 16A spina forza (= power) has the larger pins but on (IIRC) 26mm centres. This prevents me cheating and plugging Schuko stuff in without the earth, although naturally Europlug fits the 10A gauge.

Historically, lighting and power were often on different voltages and tariffs, so the plugs were deliberately incompatible, stopping you plugging a 127V light fitted with a 10A plug into the 16A sockets of the 220V power circuit. Nowadays the voltage is standard and all from one supply, so manufacturers offer a dual-gauge 'Bipasso' socket which is now pretty standard. Also increasingly standard is the presa unversale or polyvalente which takes Schuko, 10A and 16A CEI plugs, although at two modules width it's twice the size of a Bipasso. It's also deeper because of Schuko's plug recess. Like BS1363, CEI 23-50 uses insulated pins to provide touch-proofing instead of a recess.

Two pics, one of a situation that will keep presenting itself for now: presa Bipasso, spina CEI che si adatta, e spina Schuko che non va bene. Plus one of the view along my drive to work.

Attachments

• Foreign flags and foreign fittings 20190728_144612 - EletriciansForums.net
    20190728_144612.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 27
  • Foreign flags and foreign fittings 20190728_155026 - EletriciansForums.net
    20190728_155026.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:
typical Italian. since Mussolini made the trains run on time, it's all gone to pot.
Foreign flags and foreign fittings 1564343676030 - EletriciansForums.net

With a previous hat on we had an office in Italy, so I'd come across those Italian plugs. When I went over once to install some gear, multi-way extensions and various adapters were very much in evidence :rolleyes:
I vaguely recall the 3pin plugs being polarised by the earth being offset from a straight line between the other pins ?

I vaguely recall the 3pin plugs being polarised by the earth being offset from a straight line between the other pins

That's Swiss, not Italian. The CEI 23-50 plugs have pins in a straight line and are not polarised.

Yes

Talking foreign, and flags and stuff...I suddenly realised my flag says I am back in UK.
Can I login via my VPN and pretend to be in Spain?
Let's see...

No, can't be bottomed tonight...I'll try tomorrow when tonight's mead has evaporated a bit!

Reply to Foreign flags and foreign fittings in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock