Discuss Fork Lift Charger in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

You could ring them for further confirmation, but the input ratings are the ones you want. Theres a transformer inside. You design the circuit on the rating of the unit not the output rating.

If you where going to install a lighting cicuit using SELV transformers you dont design the circuit for the 12v output side of the transformers. This is just a bigger version lol.

Design the circuit using 26.7A...Ive installed and worked with a lot of these....

I dont even think a 32 AmpC type breaker would hold. The one I did previously had a massive transformer inside.
How big? - is this a fish story lol
If he has to go to say C40 or C45 poor lad is running out of options and the cable is getting bigger and bigger. One phone call to Chloride or whoever could save a stack of cash

Last edited:
Glad I stayed out of this, I'd be hopping mad by now. If the OP (AKA Fonz on IET) isn’t happy he should double check on the IET again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tonys wit is marvelous. He has far too much time on his hands....Anyhow I've been to look how this was installed today. The current installation has a 6mm SWA on a run of about 20m. Its mcb is 32amp type D. Clamped it when battery only had around 15% of life left in it and it drew 20amp. So looks like plugs and sparks is a top man!!!

I'm retired, I'm entitled to time.
Go about it how you like, but as far as I'm concerned your on your own (with your mates at the EIT).

Shame its on a D though. Has the client gone for the short run to the board, cos if that is the breaker you need you will be close by on a D32 using 6sqmm

Just done the calcs and its very likely that the existing cct will be outside Earth Loop as the board would need a Zdb of less than 0.05

Just been doing some testing today and spotted a D63, thought oh dear, luckily the machine it fed was next to the DB and it just passed on Earth Loop.

Last edited:
recently done one the charger is 10 mtrs away on a 50a type D 16mm cable
you will need the info from the charger to work out the design requirements if you guess at it you will be going back looking more like a muppet each time.

Reply to Fork Lift Charger in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net