Discuss form filling discrepancies in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
We are due to have our first NICEIC assessment and I have been asked to be the QS. Have I just accepted a poisened chalice? Looking at some of the completed EICRs I notice several differences in the way they are completed. We are using NICEIC style forms and the discrepancies are on Isolation and switching, and Switching off for mechanical maintenance. Some guys are ticking all the isolator and mechanical maintenance boxes, saying that the MCB is the primary source of isolation, whereas others are saying the isolators are the cooker switches, FCUs and light switches, etc. Also, on the max Zs permitted where the circuit is RCD protected some are putting the Zs as 1666, some 1667 and others as whatever the breaker is rated at. If the service fuse is sealed do we also put NV or LIM on the outcome and characteristics. If the seal is broken/missing I always noted it previously.
Any assistance/guidance would be appreciated. As the QS would I have to sample check the other sparks' works or do I spend a day alongside them when they are doing an EICR?

Grit your teeth explain the situation to the NIC man, and put a training programme in place for your electricians. By doing this you are demonstrating that you have identified a problem, and have a plan in place to deal with it. You will need to sample your electricians work on an ongoing basis, so include this in your plans and document it. If they have cocked the paperwork up prior to you taking control, there isn't much you can do now, but a good discussion with the NIC man should get you fixed up. He is only assessing your organisation against a set standard and if you fail, then he will want a plan in place to fix it so if you have a plan in place you are halfway there. He will probably do a revisit to check that things are getting sorted out.

Cheers.........Howard

We are due to have our first NICEIC assessment and I have been asked to be the QS. Have I just accepted a poisened chalice? Looking at some of the completed EICRs I notice several differences in the way they are completed. We are using NICEIC style forms and the discrepancies are on Isolation and switching, and Switching off for mechanical maintenance. Some guys are ticking all the isolator and mechanical maintenance boxes, saying that the MCB is the primary source of isolation, whereas others are saying the isolators are the cooker switches, FCUs and light switches, etc. Also, on the max Zs permitted where the circuit is RCD protected some are putting the Zs as 1666, some 1667 and others as whatever the breaker is rated at. If the service fuse is sealed do we also put NV or LIM on the outcome and characteristics. If the seal is broken/missing I always noted it previously.
Any assistance/guidance would be appreciated. As the QS would I have to sample check the other sparks' works or do I spend a day alongside them when they are doing an EICR?

Regarding max Zs....If the RCD (30ma) is for ADS then 1667 is correct,if the RCD is additional protection then the max Zs should be for the OCPD. If you cant verify service fuse type and rating then lim is appropriate,with an explanation. This would only really apply to an EICR or alteration/addition. For a new installation it would not be acceptable to miss out any of the required information.

oops done a eic the other day,all rcbo in board no breaker to be seen as an indoor market stall.tried for an hour to get access to incoming mains eventually got access everything sealed of course.
board had two circuits for two sockets and two lights, i put a new cooker circuit in on a rcbo plus they just rang me to put another one in.
I couldn't see a problem it's a council run building, they should know there set up better than me.

Woody, sounds to me like you were a good choice for the job.

You should ask questions and get it right, set out the standards from the offset and keep them going.

Your part 'P' provider is not only there to put you through the mill every year, they are also there to give you guidance, information and assistance. If you are unsure of what they are expecting, ring up the tech line and ask, use them all you want. Your company is paying a lot of money to them for this service and we all forget that this relationship works both ways.

Go for it and use them buddy.....

woody chill my dealings with them is that there not there to trip you up as long as all your paper works in place and you show them that your competent it will go well oh and youve paid your fees lol

Reply to form filling discrepancies in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net