Discuss FORM OF TENDER FOR THE ELECTRICAL SERVICES in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have recently completed all of the pricing for a couple of blocks of flats and I have now been given a form of tender to basically break it down, I haven't filled one of these out before and I'm struggling a bit with the terminology here's a list of questions i have if you have the time please help!!

1) In basic terms what are star rates?

2)What parts of the price are preliminary's made up of?

3)What percentage of my hourly chargeable day rate do I allow for preliminary's, overheads , profit and fixed price?

4)"List of special attendance" What I require from the main contractor over and above preliminary's...What kind of things would that be?

5) It then has an example of Net cost of materials £1000.00 again asking percentage of overheads, preliminaries, profits and fixed price

6) And again it has a section stating

Materials in General Daywork

Based upon the sum of £1000 for prime cost of material and goods in day work.
Add to the above _% (To be stated and extended by the contractor) for all incidental costs, overheads and profit etc. And on the other side of the table it has
£1000
£
I have no idea what to write.

7) Out of curiosity ..... what do you guys charge hourly for Foreman, Tech Electrician, Approved Electrician, Electrician, Apprentice and Labourers.

I really don't want to mess up this part of the tender because either I wont get it or it will cost me £££. No doubt ill be on here posting again tomorrow with more questions :)

Hi - Item 5 made me laugh out loud. Maybe I'm missing something but it could be days of labour to use up £1000 of general cabling or hours in a switchroom. I would never reveal margins anyway. Cheeky people.

Another approach is to ask to meet up with their contracts manager to discuss your tender response and that discussion might be more fruitful than my foxtrot oscar reaction :rolleyes: .

Thanks for the reply,

Your right I think a quick call is needed however I would like a rough idea as to what things like "List of special attendance", "Star rates" and what counts as preliminary costs are they initial costs or reoccurring costs?

Cheers

1) In basic terms what are star rates?
Not Sure, I wonder if he means call out rates
2)What parts of the price are preliminary's made up of?
Could be 5%-10% depends on the tender costs, usually on a job over 20K to 50K for example a contingency of 2-5 K could be added for other works not in the contract, or extras, or alterations etc
3)What percentage of my hourly chargeable day rate do I allow for overheads , profit and fixed price?
110% for profit and over heads ontop of what you pay your staff
4)"List of special attendance" What I require from the main contractor over and above preliminary's...What kind of things would that be?
all building work carried out, scaffolds supplies, Call out costs agreed pre-works, add a contingency for unforseen works as well if he has not
5) It then has an example of Net cost of materials £1000.00 again asking percentage of overheads, preliminaries, profits and fixed price
15%
6) And again it has a section stating

Materials in General Daywork
15%
Based upon the sum of £1000 for prime cost of material and goods in day work.
Add to the above 15_% (To be stated and extended by the contractor) for all incidental costs, overheads and profit etc. And on the other side of the table it has
£1000
£1,115.00
I have no idea what to write.

7) Out of curiosity ..... what do you guys charge hourly for Foreman, Tech Electrician, Approved Electrician, Electrician, Apprentice and Labourers.
£45, £37.50, £35.00, £30, £25, £25,

I really don't want to mess up this part of the tender because either I wont get it or it will cost me £££. No doubt ill be on here posting again tomorrow with more questions :)

Star rates are the tasks on the National Schedule of Rates that you consider most appropriate for this contract tender. If you have not got the current NSR then you will need to purchase it. Costs about £250.

Prelims are costs that you have that are sort of running costs for the works. For example if you wanted a QS on the job for 1 day a week and it was a 10 week job and you wanted £300 per day for your QS that value would be £3000. To be honest as a subbie you should not have any prelims.

So you need to backwards calculate how you get to your hourly. So if you charge at £30 per hour it might read something like this:

£15 ph cost
£5 ph prelims
£10 ph profit

Annot see what more you would need from the PC but I would use this section to confirm what you expect from them. Things such as welfare, site security etc should be their responsibility at no cost to you.

I would keep this simple. Just account for everything in a 10% mark up on materials. So 10% is for profit and overheads.

Same as 5.

Too many variables. You really need to decide this. Just make sure you can justfy it.

Good point about the prelims, I had a mind fart for a minute, OP ignore that part in my reply, total carp

Reply to FORM OF TENDER FOR THE ELECTRICAL SERVICES in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net