Discuss Forum Spammers getting annoying! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dan

Staff member
Admin
Mod
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Firstly, apologies for not being around as much as I should be. We're here in the background dealing with things but generally don't have much time to chat in threads. We're getting a bit more time now so will be on more and more each week.

Secondly, wow, this spam is getting silly now. From time to time forums do go through these phases. The developers find a fix and then the spammers work around it. It's an ongoing thing. Seem to be losing the battle at the moment though.

We've just blocked the registrations of a few dozen email addresses that seem to be common with spammers, but no genuine members use. I've also enabled the Cloudflare filter, although I don't think it'll stop all of it as they appear to be humans registering rather than bots.

We will keep adding to the email list as and when they use knew addresses, but the problem is the likes of @gmail.com and @live.com etc are common ones used by genuine people spammers using those will still get through.

Keep reporting the spam and we'll keep removing it, and adding their emails to the system.

In the meantime I'm testing a few anti-spam registration systems to see which one works best, then will implement that across the network.

So hang in there for us. :)

Knowing nothing about this, but it's there something that can stop someone from posting more than 10 times in 5 seconds? Or limit posts to one every three seconds... I hope you know what I'm getting at.

Last edited:
but i like the spam. it helps with my current learning of oriental languages...... NOT. :):):)

Knowing nothing about this, but it's there something that can stop someone from posting more than 10 times in 5 seconds? Or limit posts to one every three seconds... I hope you know what I'm getting at.
You proposing to ban yourself ;o)))))))
110px-Hanzi.svg.png

I would implement a captcha type system, doesnt have to be the weird writing or image ones by google. but maybe a simple box where you answer say 2+3 = .... or have a system where once somebody signs up they have to have a staff member or approved/trusted existing member approve/moderate the first say 5 or 10 posts, after that they get full access like other members, it would stop them sending too many posts to the forum and flooding it with spam. If when they sign up they cant post but have to wait for it to appear, they would soon give up using the forum.

You can also restrict the amount of posts a new member can write before approval in the moderation area of the admin side or keep them hidden until approval.

or have a system where once somebody signs up they have to have a staff member or approved/trusted existing member approve/moderate the first say 5 or 10 posts

We used to have something like that but the MOD's are busy people and sometimes it took a lit for the OP's posts to be approved, which can be a bit of a pain when you are trying to get info from them.

Maybe apoint a few of the sensible regular folks to approve the posts.

Moderation can be done on specific levels on some forums so give 6 people just accesss to the post approval area. No title required.

I keep getting error codes now...Ray ID blah blah blah.

Reply to Forum Spammers getting annoying! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net