Discuss Found cabling under floorboards, is it safe? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Found cabling under floorboards, is it safe? 5A46CA14-83AC-47A9-A2BC-B77B584FD7A6 - EletriciansForums.net
Been living in our current house for a couple of years and finally turning our spare bedroom (junk room at the moment) into a useable bedroom. I want to move a double socket a couple of feet to the left so we can fit some wardrobes in so I lifted a floorboard up today to see if it would be easy to move depending on where the cables run and found two terminal blocks as shown in the photo.

I’m guessing this has been installed when the downstairs dinning room and kitchen were knocked through by the previous owners to make the kitchen diner as some of these cables seem to run downstairs.

I’ve never come across something like this in domestic wiring, I’m assuming the terminal with the 5 cables going in is acting as a junction box? but can it have 5 cables going in safely? If so should this really be enclosed / proper junction box installed? I’m not sure why the second terminal block has been used apart from needing to extend the cable to the socket maybe?

All of the electrics in the house are working perfectly and have been ever since we moved in but should I be worried about this or is it ok?

Thanks

Been living in our current house for a couple of years and finally turning our spare bedroom (junk room at the moment) into a useable bedroom. I want to move a double socket a couple of feet to the left so we can fit some wardrobes in so I lifted a floorboard up today to see if it would be easy to move depending on where the cables run and found two terminal blocks as shown in the photo.

I’m guessing this has been installed when the downstairs dinning room and kitchen were knocked through by the previous owners to make the kitchen diner as some of these cables seem to run downstairs.

I’ve never come across something like this in domestic wiring, I’m assuming the terminal with the 5 cables going in is acting as a junction box? but can it have 5 cables going in safely? If so should this really be enclosed / proper junction box installed? I’m not sure why the second terminal block has been used apart from needing to extend the cable to the socket maybe?

All of the electrics in the house are working perfectly and have been ever since we moved in but should I be worried about this or is it ok?
I will tell the fire brigade to be on stand by ,what do you think!

Maybe an EICR to put your mind at risk
True, but problems under floorboards are unlikely to be found. In this case, given that the cpcs have been cut there is a good chance of it having been found (but not necessarily the location of the fault, of course).

Yes, it needs looking at . Post us a pic of your fuse box .

now which member of this community is in the lake district to give
this op a hand ,for a bag of chips from vinegar jones !

Pretty poor effort !
whilst not highly dangerous,
it is hardly best practice
I would get an electrician to put in a proper j box.
what else have they butchered ?

Pretty poor effort !
whilst not highly dangerous,
it is hardly best practice
I would get an electrician to put in a proper j box.
what else have they butchered ?

I dread to think what else could be lurking under these floorboards! Going to get someone out to check it ASAP!

You say get an electrician to put it in a proper Junction box is that the only issue? Is the number of connections going in not an issue as well?

An electrician will use the correct type of connectors,
Usually five wires is too much for the humble chocky block,
so he will probably use a bigger screw connector.

Is the number of connections going in not an issue as well?
it might be. all depends on what the circuit is. need a local spark to check it out. hang around on the forum. should be a member in your area.

Reply to Found cabling under floorboards, is it safe? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock