Discuss Foundation Degree, where can I go from here in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

angelofmercy186

Hi
I'm doing a foundation degree electrical and electronic engineering on day release and half way through. If wanted on completion, I can top it up to a full batchelors degree in 18months on day release. if i dodn't want to do the top up, where can i go from then. I'm a qualified spark, but saw how the industry was goin so want to kinda move along the ladder.
any info from some one who has done the FD would help.
cheers

Take a look at the likes of oilcareers.com or worldwideworker.com that'll give you a good idea of your potential market place and salary expectations

I don't known what they call what your doing these day's, but in my time it would have been called HND, which was equivalent to the first year of a Bsc. (that would have been a 2 or 3 year course on a day release basis) I've never heard of getting a full Hon's Degree in 18 month on a one day a week basis, It was roughly a 2 year student based full time Collage/Uni course!

they still do HNDs, i think a foundation degree is either equivalent or slightly higher. i'm doing the course at york college and the course is accredited by leeds uni so after completion, 1 day a week for 18 months at leeds and ive got a batchelors. i no it means i will probs have to start at the bottom again but i hope i'll have more options, if not i'll be one of the most qualified sparks there is.

they still do HNDs, i think a foundation degree is either equivalent or slightly higher. i'm doing the course at york college and the course is accredited by leeds uni so after completion, 1 day a week for 18 months at leeds and ive got a batchelors. i no it means i will probs have to start at the bottom again but i hope i'll have more options, if not i'll be one of the most qualified sparks there is.
i admire those that try to better themselves but....."one of the most qualified sparks there is".....this is a forum for electricians mate....we can all do it.....we just tend to bounce of each other in here ...thats all.......

no dis respect ment, jus sayin, how many sparks do you know with a batchelors degree. i do like bein a sparky, just i feel the industry is goin down hill and sadly a lot of decent sparks are gunna loose out

I'm sorry, i just can't see how you can gain an honours Degree in 18 months of doing one day a week!! A standard degree term is roughly 3 years Full Time education. Or, if they are still around, a full time company funded 4 year Sandwich split education, work experience Degree term.

If you have done whatever this foundation course is, i can't see you being able to cover the full curriculum of a Degree course on a one day a week basis, not from what i can remember of it anyway!!

How long will this foundation course your doing take you to complete, and what does this give you, at the end of this course??

I'm getting a nasty feeling here, that the powers that be, are giving us similar to the Electrical Trainee electricians.... I really hope i'm wrong!!!

3 years for my foundation degree, preceeded by 2 years of national certificate so 5 years in all. You can now do an HNC in 18 months. Soon you will probably get a PHD in 12 months.
Who said it was getting easier.

Reply to Foundation Degree, where can I go from here in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net