Discuss four post car ramp 3 phase to single phase conversion in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

richard feynma

Hi , I am new to the forum not a sparky but Physics background .had to make the decision with a car lift whether to buy an inverter or change to a single phase motor . My lift is a Bradbury 40 series 4 tonne .The motor does not need to reverse as it is gravity that takes it down .Also purely for interest the locks only come into play if the steel ropes go slack eg if the ram fails .
I chose to convert to a single phase motor .( I am not doing the work myself. )I have a reasonable knowledge of single phase but no practical knowledge of 3 Phase .Anyway to the point . Replaced 3 phase 1.85kW with a 2.2Kw capacitor start capacitor run single phase .Made the mistake of connecting it into an industrial socket on a short extension lead which I use for one of my welders. The fuse blew presumably with the surge required to start the motor . Re-connected it to a 32A direct connection lift worked raised about two feet but then stopped . Wouldn't lift again . Smoke coming from the power housing . On investigation the starting capacitor had blown it's top .
I researched extensively before choosing to go single phase .As in all grey areas peoples opinions differed .Usually they are all correct you just have to know the context they are talking about . Some say you definitely need to change some of the 3 phase elements in the control box e.g. the contactor others say with slight modification it isn't necessary .
My question is , would the initial fuse blowing event also have blown the starting capacitor or is there any other reason ( save a faulty capacitor ) that could have caused it ? I have a new starting capacitor and have a direct online starter ordered but once again the opinion is divided on whether the D.O.L .S is essential .Thanks for any advice in advance best regards , Ricky F I should also point out because the lift is gravity down,with no motor direction reversal necessary , it is considered one of the easier 3 phase to single phase conversions .cheers. Haven't quite got the hang of the layout on the page yet .

Was the lift 3 phase and earth,
or 3 phase neutral and earth?

Are the contactors low voltage (24v maybe?) 0r 240v or 415v coils?

Is the start capacitor mounted away from the motor?

Hi thanks for the reply .No neutral I think but i'll check with the lift guy.No 24 V controls . Start capacitor in housing of connections on motor as well as the run capacitor .

So far you've just powered the motor directly and not connected anything thro' the control box?

If there was no neutral originally then the coils will be 415v, they will eventually have to be changed when you use the control box and limit switches.

The biggest problem with 3ph to 1ph is the torque difference.

Did the lift have a vehicle on it?

What was the speed of the 3ph motor and the speed of the 1ph motor

checked in power cabinet .There is an original Bradbury circuit diagram which was the only one in there when I bought it . It says 3 phase and neutral wiring on it .Regards,Ricky .

Everything is running nicely now .However the motor manufacturer recommends using a direct online starter to protect the motor in circumstances such as hydraulic failure or overloading of the ramp .I have the d.o.l.s . now. I really don't want the internal wiring altered now .Can I just have the D.O.L.S. as an On/Off switch or will there be other facors to consider (it is rated 12-18A recommended by the motor supplier) ?Thanks in Advance, Ricky .

I have a similar problem. The dol contacted jammed in the open the thermal overload was wrongly rated and the ramp went up on its own. We assume the cam operated cutout cut the feed to the motor. The dol then melted and arced across refeeding the motor melting the cables. In the process we appear to have lost half a phase. We have 1 phase 400 phase 2 400 and phase 3 110vac. The unit is a power capacitor 240 to 3phase convertor. My sparky rewired it with a.new IMO dol and thermal and rewired the motor terminals but all the Newman motor does is spark and smoke. I assume the motor is toast is circa 1978.

Reply to four post car ramp 3 phase to single phase conversion in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net