Discuss FP 200 in Garden.. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

acowx

Hi All,

Just a quick one,

Im going to put a couple of lights down the bottom of my garden, the run is approx 20m and I have an adequate amount of FP 200, now SWA would be the prefered choice of many I understand, but having this cable im thinking of using it to do the run.

I was going to clip direct to my fence at about 6ft so theres no problems with mechanical damage (Ie - Spades, forks etc) and the cable is 1.5mm so no problems to run a couple of lights, (Cable calc done).

So really just wondering your thoughts, would you not use at all, put it in conduit or just fine how it is.

Obviously all terminations will be sufficiently IP rated.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts, thanks in advance.

Ashley

Can't remember where, but I am certain I have seen it stated you shouldn't clip to a fence as it can easily be blown over by wind or something to that effect? :confused:

Not my opinion-just confirming the article.

For fire alarm systems all fp has to be mechanically protected if installed at a height less than 2.1m. FP200 does not wear well outside and on many jobs we have to use an alternate brand that doesn't miscolour and go brittle.

he going to get the battery powered fence sprayer out.. come on red, go go go

mind you might give some colours as all the flowers are dead this time a year:gunsmilie:...

Il have to disagree with everyone here, well deffo with white anyway as seen it used, after year 1 it had all cracked and exposed the cores probably from u/v degragation of sheath, i would strongly recommend a chat with manufacturers of go online for cable spec's before going down this path. If a cable falls to bits within 2yrs its a type i'd avoid, check the temp' ratings too, with modern climates changing id be looking at -20 to 40+..... well with the nature of the cable the latter shouldn't be an issue.

Hi all,

Thanks for all your comments,

1. As for the the FP being red its not, its white, I mean I know its still not the prettiest thing in the world but better than red, plus I have some which I probably wont be using anytime soon.

2. The article by the niceic is the reason I am not going to be joining them, I don't want to start some sort of heated debate here but I have heard they make up there own reg's, which is why I am going NAPIT in a couple of weeks.

3. I didn't realize that the FP would degrade that much TBH, I have looked on the website and it definitely says ok for outdoor use, but I will research some more me thinks.

Once again thanks for your comments and advice 'Muchas Gracias'

Ash

Hi all,

Thanks for all your comments,

1. As for the the FP being red its not, its white, I mean I know its still not the prettiest thing in the world but better than red, plus I have some which I probably wont be using anytime soon.

2. The article by the niceic is the reason I am not going to be joining them, I don't want to start some sort of heated debate here but I have heard they make up there own reg's, which is why I am going NAPIT in a couple of weeks.

3. I didn't realize that the FP would degrade that much TBH, I have looked on the website and it definitely says ok for outdoor use, but I will research some more me thinks.

Once again thanks for your comments and advice 'Muchas Gracias'

Ash

Ps. note FP is a brand name and many others exist, not all with same cable spec's i never said don't use it just confirm its ok with your particular brand and generation of product as the earlier ones were problematic outdoors.

Came across FP on a factory roof feeding floodlights, absolutely cream crackered. Replaced with SWA, best in this situation, in my opinion.

Reply to FP 200 in Garden.. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net