Discuss France - Advise wanted with CU and MCB's for a barn rewire in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sorton

Bought a holiday home in France and the barn has very oldwiring eg. Brown Bakelite light switches with 2 pin holes for a power plug inthem. Cabling is old and rotted, fuses are white porcelain with some chickenwire inside as a fuse. Terrible!! So I am doing a rewire. All easy access toEDF meter, walls and wooden rafters. Bought a consumer unit over here in UK andtook it over - only to later find that I must use twin pole MCB’s not singlepole like UK. Not wanting to flout the regs and give cause to my insurers torefuse to pay any claims if the wiring is not to French standards I read up andI am buying French cable 2.5mm 3 core all sleeved for the 4 power sockets (Ican fit up to 12 on 2.5mm according to NFC-15-100 so I am way below that) and 4lights on 1.5mm cable 3 core all sleeved.
Text to long for he post have attached a document...can you open - much more details in it.

Attachments

• Bought a consumer unit over here in UK and took it over.pdf
    389 KB · Views: 33
Are you sufficiently qualified and experienced to carry out this work ?
Do you have test equipment to keep yourself safe and prove the circuits safe and can you produce test certificates ?
Are you fully versed with all the French regulations and legal requirements involved with such work ?

If the answer to any of the the above is anything but "Yes, completely" then I would suggest hiring a local electrician.

Please don't take my reply the wrong way sorton, you have obviously researched this problem very well, would it not be better to get one of our French colleagues to do this work for you? A holiday home you say, you don't want to go around messing with something you know little about, "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" your profile has you down as an Administrator, again not wishing to be rude, but stick to what you know.

Hi, Comments understood.
Thanks.
It's a small - no..... tiny job like you guys have done at home for years (without producing certs for it!).A few meters of cable…change “barn” to “shed” to see what Imean…

It’s 3 core…
I wanted to save having to buy another populated French CUthat was all. Just buying the RCD and MCB’s was to save cost – not cut cornersand wire the brown and blue the wrong way!!

And by the way – at about 1 am this morning when I joinedthe forum I just put administrator …because I am now office bound….. I’mactually 1[SUP]st[/SUP] class degree qualified with honours and been in theprocess industry for 43 years!

Professional comments all accepted – and I agree inprinciple, but this is falling off a log stuff and 3 core cable…come on. And Ido have a tester. I am even buying the cable and kit in France to ensurecompliance. Other than a cert it will be a 100% safe job ---it’s onlysmall..really!

I just fall down at the UK RCD/MCB vs twin pole Frenchequivalents and whether I have selected the right ones.

I can save the questions and buy a new French CU populatedas I want.. just tried to save a fewquid that was all….

Hi, Comments understood.
Thanks.
It's a small - no..... tiny job like you guys have done at home for years (without producing certs for it!).A few meters of cable…change “barn” to “shed” to see what Imean…

It’s 3 core…
I wanted to save having to buy another populated French CUthat was all. Just buying the RCD and MCB’s was to save cost – not cut cornersand wire the brown and blue the wrong way!!

And by the way – at about 1 am this morning when I joinedthe forum I just put administrator …because I am now office bound….. I’mactually 1[SUP]st[/SUP] class degree qualified with honours and been in theprocess industry for 43 years!

Professional comments all accepted – and I agree inprinciple, but this is falling off a log stuff and 3 core cable…come on. And Ido have a tester. I am even buying the cable and kit in France to ensurecompliance. Other than a cert it will be a 100% safe job ---it’s onlysmall..really!

I just fall down at the UK RCD/MCB vs twin pole Frenchequivalents and whether I have selected the right ones.

I can save the questions and buy a new French CU populatedas I want.. just tried to save a fewquid that was all….

Out of interest what sort of "tester" do you have?

Reply to France - Advise wanted with CU and MCB's for a barn rewire in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock