Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss Freedo here! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

Freedo

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi boys&girls! Ok, I've been an editorial/commercial model for around a year now and I can't take much more of it! So, I thought it'll be a good idea to start a stable career and follow in my step dad's foot steps to become a domestic electrician. Now then, is it the wrong time to start? College term wise as it's a good 5/6 months until the new term starts. I've been told that it's better to start training with an apprenticeship? If so where should I look?I'm located in Kent, Tunbridge Wells to be precise - Age 19.

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
B

Bane

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
At your age I'd go for the apprenticeship. That can be tied in with college too I believe?

F

Freedo

I agree - the question is where?!

B

Bane

Where? College or apprenticeship?

As I say to everyone. IMO go on yell.com get a list of electricians/contractors in your area then send e-mails with a covering letter and CV asking for vacancies (even as a labourer to start). Phone firms. Visit firms in person, sell yourself.

Ask your stepdad. You said he's a domestic installer? He's the best person to ask for advice

see if you can start working for ur step dad, to begin with, whislt you look for a perminent job, every employer looks for experience in the game

F

Freedo

Where? College or apprenticeship?

As I say to everyone. IMO go on yell.com get a list of electricians/contractors in your area then send e-mails with a covering letter and CV asking for vacancies (even as a labourer to start). Phone firms. Visit firms in person, sell yourself.

Ask your stepdad. You said he's a domestic installer? He's the best person to ask for advice
Yes self employed. He's 61 now and has no qualifications as an electrician but still re-wires houses, etc. He does anything though - plumbing, tiling, etc, etc... So he's not always working on electrics. :(

H

hungy5

Hello everyone, I had been enjoyed reading the posted comments.
I am currently unemployed for almost 11 months. Been taking time out to relaxed and traveling, however time has come to the end.

I intrested into become elctrician. been looked around and had come arcoss the school
" ABLE SKILLS " which is the nearest to me. Just wonder have anyone been there or know about it ...???

Am sure there will be more questions next time...!! Thanks guys..

F

Freedo

^ Age?

Ok, whats the difference (average wage) between domestic and commercial?

To start off, I think it'll be best for me just to gain experience working as a domestic sparky with my step dad (once qualified).

I've read that you only need to take the 2330 course when doing commercial? Is this true?

What do I need to gain to become a qualified sparky? Part P, what else? Is their any way I can start now - without waiting until September?

All help much appreciated!! :)

Bump! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
"What do I need to gain to become a qualified sparky? Part P, what else? "

In my opinion, and i don't know about anyone else, but i think its all about being "competent" , having a sound knowledge which makes you a proper sparky, with the Qualifications. I got my 16th, eal, 2377, in 4 weeks, does that make me a sparky? nope i don't think so.

F

Freedo

I see, thanks for that info LScotty...

So the 2330 C&G course isn't necessary?

So I defiantly need Part P and the 17th edition completed. That didn't take long - 4 weeks! Who was that with?

Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers

Reply to Freedo here! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Aico 3000 Range
Top Bottom