Discuss Freelance kitchen fitter doing electrical work. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Andy-1960

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Popped in my Sisters house earlier today to see how she was getting on having a new kitchen fitted.
First impressions were quite good, install of units so far seemed good, new floor was good, my sister then pointed out the new sockets that he had installed.
Sockets were loose ready for him to tile behind, had a quick look - radial feed from existing socket outlet feeding three doubles and the spur for the cooker extractor and earth sleeving in sight, cables run diagonally, so many errors in such a small job. Highlighted this to my sister, but she just wants kitchen finished for Christmas and doesn’t want it to cost her any more money as putting it right now means undoing quite a lot of work.
I’m not happy, but guess this guy will get away with it as he has many times before no doubt.
I know where he’s fed it all from, so I will fit a spur on the radial when he’s gone.
Oh.. his method for proving dead... a neon screwdriver!
Thing is, how do we stop these people doing this?

I'm afraid this sort of thing is very common, there seem to be an awful lot of 'multi skilled' individuals round my way who convince customers they can do the lot, but in reality the electrics are dreadful, the only positive is being given the job to put it right sometimes but I don't suppose some people will ever learn. I don't know how it can be stopped to be honest.

I'm afraid this sort of thing is very common, there seem to be an awful lot of 'multi skilled' individuals round my way who convince customers they can do the lot, but in reality the electrics are dreadful, the only positive is being given the job to put it right sometimes but I don't suppose some people will ever learn. I don't know how it can be stopped to be honest.
The thing is most customers don’t give a hoot as long as it works. I can’t beleive the amount of times I’ve been to jobs where the customer has paid a “professional tradesman” to carry out work like flooring, tiling, bathrooms etc and the level of workmanship is that of an average below the level of a DIY’er....You look at it and think what a pile of turd and if he’d done a job like that in my house he certainly wouldn’t get away with it....Then the customer tells you how brilliant he was. I just can’t get my head around it sometimes.

The problem then lies behind the fabric of the building you've got a spur off a spur which could, in theory, be overloading behind the kitchen tiles.

Popped in my Sisters house earlier today to see how she was getting on having a new kitchen fitted.
First impressions were quite good, install of units so far seemed good, new floor was good, my sister then pointed out the new sockets that he had installed.
Sockets were loose ready for him to tile behind, had a quick look - radial feed from existing socket outlet feeding three doubles and the spur for the cooker extractor and earth sleeving in sight, cables run diagonally, so many errors in such a small job. Highlighted this to my sister, but she just wants kitchen finished for Christmas and doesn’t want it to cost her any more money as putting it right now means undoing quite a lot of work.
I’m not happy, but guess this guy will get away with it as he has many times before no doubt.
I know where he’s fed it all from, so I will fit a spur on the radial when he’s gone.
MONEY Mate the root of all evil

The trouble is almost all the time this crock of poo will work just fine indefinitely, we've all come across plastered in taped connections and spurs off spurs carried out by Kev and it's very difficult to convince a homeowner it's potentially dangerous when it's been like it years.
Dame Emma bangs on about how part P and the scams have all but done away with 'cowboy' electricians, but it's made very little difference as far as I can see. TBH I'm past caring what other people do or pay for, just concentrate on what I do being right and sleep sound at night.

The trouble is almost all the time this crock of poo will work just fine indefinitely, we've all come across plastered in taped connections and spurs off spurs carried out by Kev and it's very difficult to convince a homeowner it's potentially dangerous when it's been like it years.
Dame Emma bangs on about how part P and the scams have all but done away with 'cowboy' electricians, but it's made very little difference as far as I can see. TBH I'm past caring what other people do or pay for, just concentrate on what I do being right and sleep sound at night.
Wholeheartedly agree wirepuller well said.

I know kitchens used to come under Part P correct me here but would additional sockets added come under it know?
Any electrical work in a dwelling falls under part P. The only thing that changed was if the carried out work needed to be notified due to location or type of work. In England adding an extra socket in a kitchen would not be notifiable unless it was a new circuit.

Last edited:
your sister knows best ,wait till xmas and S88t hits the fan ,and starts ring you .lecky off ,can I come to you house for xmas dinner.

That 4th photo is like when you remove a JB from an outside wall and you’ve got a spider that you know is swearing at you for disturbing him (or her)!
Here's another kitchen fitter special. Doing some PAT for landlord to let and came across this on the electric ignition on the hob. Just as well the test picked it up eh!

View attachment 46451
Vorty, so many things wrong in such a small space! Sheesh!

Any electrical work in a dwelling falls under part P. The only thing that changed was if the carried out work needed to be notified due to location or type of work. In England adding an extra socket in a kitchen would not be notifiable unless it was a new circuit.
So there would be no need to join a scheme.

Reply to Freelance kitchen fitter doing electrical work. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock