Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss Frequency power fluctuations in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hello!
What's the implications on frequency fluctuations on 3 phase power?
From transformer to feed the lighting dimmer rack. We use Fluke power logger and recorded a frequency fluctuations from 50hz to 0hz in almost every 5 secs interval. It's random, different day and time. What may have caused this and possible solution? Thank you!

Seeing 0Hz to me looks like the supply went off!

I guess you are having problems to put the power logger on in the first place, any more info?

Strima

-
Arms
Esteemed
Transformer windings failing is my guess.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hello!
Our Power logger data records that all 3 phases L1,L2,L3 has 230v but the frequency drops from 0Hz to 50hz in 5 seconds randomly.
Is this issue on the transformer? I would assume if there's no frequency there would be no voltage as well. Is this correct? Thank you!

Wilko

-
Arms
Esteemed
Hello!
Our Power logger data records that all 3 phases L1,L2,L3 has 230v but the frequency drops from 0Hz to 50hz in 5 seconds randomly.
Is this issue on the transformer? I would assume if there's no frequency there would be no voltage as well. Is this correct? Thank you!
Hi - weird behaviour ... can you tell us please what is the make and model?

Frequency is set at the point of generation and remains constant along the distribution network, have you tried a substitute tester? The last time the frequency fell less than 1.5hz the network automatically began shedding load after 2 power stations failed.

KennyKen

-
Arms
Esteemed
The Prime Mover Rotating equipment will have under frequency parameters too which would cause a SD. If it behaved in that manner.

I'm struggling a bit to read those plots, but the severity of the plots in your post #10 shows power cuts, not frequency fluctuations! From what I can read of those plots, you're getting 0Hz for minutes at a time. Suggest loose cable on meter?? As @pc1966 asked earlier, what caused you to measure, in the first place?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I believe its not the loose connection from the power logger because its stationary and the logger is set to trigger every 10secs. And random readings on different times and days.
Reason for taking the reading is to prove where the issue from our Lighting dimmer with relays acting weird on/off during shows. We suspected that there's issue with the main transformer. But we need evidence where the issue lies.
Is it possible that only the Frequency fluctuations to 0hz and not the power voltage?

Is it possible that only the Frequency fluctuations to 0hz and not the power voltage?
If you're connected directly to a tx, yes it's impossible. If you've got other circuitry involved then yes, the power could be rectified somehow. Most switch-mode power supplies would be just as happy with 300V DC, but .... I'd say it's one of the less-likely options :)

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Reply to Frequency power fluctuations in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Top Bottom