Discuss From External Socket to Shed in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have recently had my garden fully wired (radial system ... unsure that means) in each corner by a profession electrician. I have been informed that I can run electric heaters, kettle, etc. with no issue and it runs from the consumer unit in my garage which I think is connected to a 65 amp RCD fuse and he said if I wanted to run power to my new shed then I can merely spur off of one of the double sockets to a separate fused switch.
Ok so what I want to do is be able to move my shed in and out to maintain it every year so was thinking of using a one of those IP67 adapters like you see when connecting caravans to cars, so having a fixed socket on the fence and have a trailing flex from the shed. The trailing flex I was going to attach to the shed and then on to a new smaller consumer unit in the shed (x1 for lighting and x1 for plugs) ... does this sound ok?

I'm a competent diy-er just wanted to know the best (not necessarily the cheapest) way to do this and what parts to look out for, cheers for any advice?

If it is a radial circuit with sockets it is most likely on a 20a mcb protected by a 63a 30ma rcd from what your saying, in which case you won't need an fcu as the breaker is 20a

Sounds like a winner to me. If you use one of those IP67 adaptors you could tow the shed down the road to get it maintained into the bargain.

I got to agree with westward this time.
Caravans to cars???? Not caravan to hook up?

Reply to From External Socket to Shed in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net