Discuss Full rewire for NICEIC exam in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hi

Im undertaking a full house rewire with a view to having an NICEIC assesment to get registered. Im not sure of a few things though.

1. Bathroom lights. If i have downlights should the ceiling rose junction box be accesible or should all the wires be connected with the neutrals in the light switch outside or in the pull switch? What is it called when the neutrals are connected within the switch and when is it appropriate to do this?
Above the bathroom is an accesable roof space.

2. Ring main wires buried in plaster. Acceptable?

3. Downlights in front room. They are connected under the floorboards above. Would it have been apropriate to have the neutrals in the light switch as junction boxes aren't accessable?

4. Pir censor in hallway and landing. My bright idea this on. Hall and landing are operated from pir switch with their own circuit connected to house smoke detectors and not on an rcd. Should they have a manual switch as well. Also should the neutrals meet in the switch or should i connect it from the rose?

Any other tips for the assesment would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers.

basically any screw terminal JB or whatever needs to be accessible. if not you need to use MF junction boxes/connectors. as for your point 4. if any part of the cable of that circuit is buried in plaster, then you need RCD protection unless it's mechanically protected as per 522.6.101.

Hi,

Not trying to put you down, but are you sure you are ready for this. If you are doing a re-wire these are pretty basic questions that you should really know the answer to.

Regards.

Whenever downlights are involved always take feed to switch first as there won't be any hidden joints for sparks in future, also easier for if you have wall lights aswell as there is never enough room to hide cable behind if there's a loop at the fitting.

put capping over your cables in plaster, this isn't a reg but just good practice, again for future ie adding an extra socket.

pir switching in hallways are the way forward I think, although prone to go faulty. It's either manual switching or pir switching not both in my opinion upto u, Rcd wouldn't be required for pir switching unless cables in wall anywhere on circuit, I would rcbo or Rcd circuits anyway regardless in domestic

Well theres alot Im not sure of. Its my house though and I have completed a city and guilds course and have the competant persons card. So im commited and ready to give it a go. I knew the answer to the buried cables bit already TBH. However the neutrals in switch boxes confuses me. When is it appropriate to do this?

Cheers

you can loop in at switches or at lights. whichever avoids too many cables in a fitting. there's no hard and fast rule. do whatever seems the most logical.

Whenever possible. I always 3 plate at the switch. If there are fans and mirror demisters involved if possible i fit a 47mm back box to allow for a few wagos to tuck in the back

Any other tips for the assesment would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers.

make sure you sleave your earth wires (CPCs) the whole way up from the point of connection right into the grey outer sheath of the pvc/pvc, My inspector hates it if it is short, make sure you have the right labells on the boards, they also hate it when labells are missing, also make sure you have 3 ring mains, up, down and kitchen and sit across the 2 rcds equally with lighting, they like that, think of it as a driving test, do it their way even if some things are ott and you will pass, don't forget to use grommetts in the boxes and colour code phase and neutral condutors, hmm, anything else?? ah yes ensure everything is tested correctly, no cutting corners, he will make you test it all again and the readings will need to match the sheets haha

Just as well no NIC assessors read this forum cos if they did and came across those questions all they would need to do is wait to see if they got an initial assessment with non rcd protected PIR hallway lights and they could have a field day. They don`t read this............do they?

Well theres alot Im not sure of. Its my house though and I have completed a city and guilds course and have the competant persons card. So im commited and ready to give it a go. I knew the answer to the buried cables bit already TBH. However the neutrals in switch boxes confuses me. When is it appropriate to do this?

Cheers

What's a competent persons card

You can bet your life the "Inspector" won't care which way you do it or probably won't even look...maybe at anything!, they want your money , end of, he will probably Ask you to carry out a few tests at the board you installed, maybe ask you a few questions on where you should measure what, that will be that, your in..,see you next year

You can bet your life the "Inspector" won't care which way you do it or probably won't even look...maybe at anything!, they want your money , end of, he will probably Ask you to carry out a few tests at the board you installed, maybe ask you a few questions on where you should measure what, that will be that, your in..,see you next year

Not mine fella

Reply to Full rewire for NICEIC exam in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net