Discuss Full spread of tests after CU change. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi mate is this job AT MY BRUVS as i am finding similar probs to you
my tutor at college asked me why i tested at both sides of doubles i said because they are both outlets and also value can be significantly higher as i have found
continuity on lighting some switches were giving readings with it switches off

started of at somewhere in the region of well over 4 ohms the meter wouldnt give a constant reading it was as high as 6 some of the time
LOW IR
shower 6mm OK at 45A dp switch feeding 230v fan zone 1 1.0mm / also feeding a FCU for Old C/Heating supply
spurs of spurs
mutiple connection blocks no tape loose connections
hidden JBs with loose connections
rodent damage hidden under a board were i was looking for a hidden JB for landing and loft light were it was giving a high continuity reading
bonding to water after branchwork High readings before and other side
Ip ratings not met on newer single rcd board
circuits still connected in old wylex 4 way going nowhere and about 4 circuits in each
downlights in kitchen 2 supplies switches at side of each other 2.5mm feeding 1.0mm again chockblocks
twiisted Ns not in terminals at sockets
twisted cpcs not in terminal at socket
metal back boxes protruding from wall
grommets missing
no sleeving on earths
switch wires not identified
sockets are suspect to say the least think ring is in JBs most sockets downstairs have 1 cable so spur of JB no prob if not ideal
then spurs of spurs
some sockets had ok reading at one outlet of double socket and at other as much as 2-3ohms
some wouldnt switch off
step 2 and 3 readings are nowhere near within 0.05ohms of each other
cracked sockets and switches with heat damage
every time i found a fault i would repeat the test and slowly but surely reduce the continuity readings to a more acceptable reading and increase the IR

mate i could go on so now like you I test evrything borrowed neutrals even between the disconnected NOW DEAD circuits and the remaining circuits to see if there is continuity still and IR between them

and have condemned the lights and told him unless he lets me under floorboards to have a look its staying locked off as i still have a L-N 0.14 to 0.27 Meg and yes evrything is unplugged disconnected removed linked out
this wouldnt show up if i just tested with L&N joined to earth then i got a reading of

I suspect the lighting problem stems from the 10K kitchne he had done
its not worth 1K
best bit granite worktops the rest any muppet could chuck together
they jsut slung cables behind cupboards and even behind fridge High level double with cables jsut dangling down and disappearing behind cupboards he could of at least used cable clips for 10k

the transformer for pelmet selv lighting is sitting on top of the freezer with untaped chock blocks for the connection point sitting along side the transformer

anyway woooden floors newly laid carpets coming up upstairs and if its bad i will give him the good news lets rewire the lights and sockets LOL and get some chases in the plastering he had done other year lol

Standard British Install Then! LOL

yep nowt major jsut ordinary run of the mill stuff jsut think what i will find when i start pulling floorboards it will be like pulling teeth bet there isnt any hidden fortunes like sovereigns more like dead mice and some nice neat no Jb connected wiring
Oh and 6mm earthing and bonding to CCU the old wylex wooden backed fuseboard melted
and a radial to a jib to feed 3 radial sockets one of which now supplies a conservatory with 6 doubles and a large ceiling fan and light all fedfrom a bs3036 30A
At least the last guy guy put 16mm earthing and 10mm from the newer volex 12 way board to the gas even if the clamp was loose with no warning label and all stands not under the clamp
3 ways used
and the wylex had 4 ways but needed about 20

Last edited:
I do the same as guitarist,cu change and test all circuits,this is how it should be done,and the cost of a CU change and what work is involved should in reality be discussed with a client prior to the works as there is no i just want a replacement and no testing.We are supposed to be pros,if we dont do the job properly and charge a fair price for the work then,people will just think there is nothing to it and wont pay more than a pittence for what is an essential piece of equiptment in someones home and which should last for many years to come.

To be honest the odds of someone being killed by a belt from an RCD protected circuit are slim to none in my opinion. I've had dozens of belts in my time on all types of circuit, and none of them have been particulalry bad.

:whatchutalkingabout..............................Not sure if that is a business strategy I used Dave ..................it's only 230v love hardly a tickle I've had plenty

Look pal, if you get some kind of peverse saitisfaction out of treating every job you ever do as a rerun of your college testing and inspection assessment then thats cool, I got no problem with that, but Im too busy trying to keep all my clients happy and earn a decent living, to be spending hours of my life trying to satisfy irrational urges that I dont actually have. I have ample confidence in my own judgement.

Listen "pal", if you want to cut corners on testing then that's up to you, but don't call my work methods "perverse" just because I try to do things by the book.
It wasn't that that many weeks ago that you yourself were asking for clarification on certain testing procedures, so I find it odd that you are now saying that you have ample confidence to pick and choose what you deem necessary!
Anyway, I'm getting pretty sick of constantly getting put down for trying to work safely and correctly on this forum, so I'm gonna leave you "experts" to it for now. Goodbye, and good luck to those of you who are professional....

Forgive me in advance for the following numb question.

If the regs class a 2 gang as 2 outlets, why is a 2 gang only counted as 1 point served?

Because there are only one set of terminals and they are wiring tests so the appliance on the end of the cable makes no diffrrence?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Listen "pal", if you want to cut corners on testing then that's up to you, but don't call my work methods "perverse" just because I try to do things by the book.
It wasn't that that many weeks ago that you yourself were asking for clarification on certain testing procedures, so I find it odd that you are now saying that you have ample confidence to pick and choose what you deem necessary!
Anyway, I'm getting pretty sick of constantly getting put down for trying to work safely and correctly on this forum, so I'm gonna leave you "experts" to it for now. Goodbye, and good luck to those of you who are professional....

don't go!

Please remind me which testing procedures I was asking for clarification on.....

Is it me being really picky but isn't a consumer unit change notifiable? I was always under the impression it was. I agree with guitarist I always do a full installation test as you have to complete an electrical installation certificate and reckon on a CU change taking a full day. How often do you find that the bonding is missing on old installations?
A problem in a house to be rented with a ring main, I happened to comment to the owner (and guy doing a great deal of work) that there was a fault and it was probably a junction box at the top of the stairs under the floor. He cam back and said no junction box and in response to my puzzled look said 4! One hour later and down to a single maintenance free junction box and the problem was resolved.
Testing is for me a must do and forms part of my price, if it's too expensive then tough, but testing must be done and I accept that full RCD protection is safer both from a fire perspective and shock. But it's still done!!
Hate cowboys and putting their work right is a pain, I am not perfect, I am not the neatest but I try and it seems that others agree.

Well Just did a full spread today after DB change + an indepth inspection.

Picked up an extra £240.00 worth of remedial work.

I'm happy, she's happy and I feel justified for allowing all day for DB change after recent post's about £200 3 hour DB changes.

Popped back today on the Lady that my wife and I had done all the work for over the last few weeks, just as a courtesy call and to pick up something I'd left behind. She invited us in for a cup of tea and a chat. After a few minutes she informed us that she was so happy with what we had done that she's found us a few extra little jobs that need doing...
Only a couple of days work, but so nice when the customer appreciates what you have done for them :)

Reply to Full spread of tests after CU change. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net