Discuss Full spread of tests after CU change. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Guitarist

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
I know that many electricians only carry out quick and basic tests after a CU change, but I thought I'd share this with you.
I am a fussy so and so, as many of you already know, so following a CU change I carry out every test imaginable. Having established no shared neutral, good bonding, good IR checks, etc. prior to carrying out said change, I got stuck in to a full spread of testing after installing it....
Was in the process of carrying out an R1+R2 test on every point in the lighting circuit, when I came across an open circuit at a bedroom ceiling rose... Checked switch, connections etc, but no joy. After half an hour in the loft, found the supply to the bedroom lighting joined in a JB but with the cpc ends not connected, just sitting there happily a few inches apart outside the JB, covered in loft insulation.
This is why I would rather be a few quid out of pocket time-wise, than skimp on testing.

Its a bit like not bothering to check the ring circuit at every socket - I always do but suspect many don't

Exactly mate. I was only saying to my wife this morning that I'd no doubt spend many boring hours on a hot sunny day, carrying out all these tests just for it all to be perfect, and then this pops up!
Makes it all worth while :)

I know that many electricians only carry out quick and basic tests after a CU change, but I thought I'd share this with you.
I am a fussy so and so, as many of you already know, so following a CU change I carry out every test imaginable. Having established no shared neutral, good bonding, good IR checks, etc. prior to carrying out said change, I got stuck in to a full spread of testing after installing it....
Was in the process of carrying out an R1+R2 test on every point in the lighting circuit, when I came across an open circuit at a bedroom ceiling rose... Checked switch, connections etc, but no joy. After half an hour in the loft, found the supply to the bedroom lighting joined in a JB but with the cpc ends not connected, just sitting there happily a few inches apart outside the JB, covered in loft insulation.
This is why I would rather be a few quid out of pocket time-wise, than skimp on testing.

Good for you Guitarist. This is what testing is for. There seems far too many people looking for reasons not to fully test.

One lad I worked with refused to do it claiming he wasn't trained to as he didn't have 2391. I always thought a spark should be able to test his own work, some others refused to test a new install because "You know it's going to be ok" disgusting attitude

One lad I worked with refused to do it claiming he wasn't trained to as he didn't have 2391. I always thought a spark should be able to test his own work, some others refused to test a new install because "You know it's going to be ok" disgusting attitude

Quite right Trev all electricians should have a good understand of inspection and testing regardless of being 2391 trained.
How can electrician carry out electrical work walk away and let the tester carry the can if he misses a fault.
At least they have to sign the EIC cert for construction.

I think its the "I can't be bothered attitude" - no pride in the work they do, god help them if they ever go down the self employed route in he future...

One guy sat in his car one day making up test results and then photocopied the sheets and submitted them for every rewire he did on the decent homes programme. The same guy now has AC status with NICEIC and has guys working for him.

2 rcds in a CU = 2 rcd tests
preferably at the device itself or from a nearby socket if easier.

exactly. today another spark tried to tell me it had to be done on every circuit! i normally do it on each ring main(providing theres one on each side), at the socket with the highest ZS normally i figure if it works there it'll work eveythere else.
he said it was being thorough, i said it was wasting time! didn't go down well...

question, do you do the RCD test on every circuit? or do you just do it on one circuit on each rcd (for a 17th board) and duplicate the results?

As long is nothing is plugged in to a socket then there can be no leakage and the test will be accurate.
The CU I just fitted has 7 RCBO's, so 7 lots of tests at the board. Before I finish a job for good I like to do a ramp test on each RCD somewhere in the circuit, just for that last minute "nice" factor. :)

exactly. today another spark tried to tell me it had to be done on every circuit! i normally do it on each ring main(providing theres one on each side), at the socket with the highest ZS normally i figure if it works there it'll work eveythere else.
he said it was being thorough, i said it was wasting time! didn't go down well...

Well at least you know where to come for the real low-down on testing theory ;-D
And your collegue doesnt know his arse from his elbow.

I certainly don't test a new install the way I was taught at college. The main difference being the only RFC testing I do is end to end continuity of the 3 conductors at the C/U. If anyone would like to slag me off for this I would appreciate if you could accompany said slagging off with an example of how doing it this way could create a dangerous situation.

I will also happily admit that I get my R1+R2 readings after a C/U change by calculating Zs-Ze or R1+R2/4 in the case of an RFC. If they ask for an EICR I will give them one. If they want a C/U change with a cert, that is what they get.

As long is nothing is plugged in to a socket then there can be no leakage and the test will be accurate.
The CU I just fitted has 7 RCBO's, so 7 lots of tests at the board. Before I finish a job for good I like to do a ramp test on each RCD somewhere in the circuit, just for that last minute "nice" factor. :)

I wouldnt be ramp testing new devices to be honest.

"The main difference being the only RFC testing I do is end to end continuity of the 3 conductors at the C/U"
Not a slagging but how do you prove polarity and IR

Reply to Full spread of tests after CU change. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock