Discuss Funding for Competent Persons Scheme?? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

chrisgc

Hi does anybody know if there is funding or grants etc to become registered on one of the competent persons schemes?

I have passed 17th edition and eal domestic but of course without being a member of a competent persons scheme and trying to go self employed BUT currently signing on at the moment its a bit of a barrier the £450 asking price??

Chris

As far a im aware... no.

Although Elecsa were doing interest free payments to current members.

Maybe give them a ring and see what they are offering?

As far a im aware... no.

Although Elecsa were doing interest free payments to current members.

Maybe give them a ring and see what they are offering?

Elecsa will let you pay monthly by direct debit once you are a member, but as you are paying a year in advance you have to pay the first year in full on application and before your'e assessment. Ask them to send you a pack out, It will tell you the requirements for all the stuff you need, if you arnt geared up properly you could be looking at the best part of a grand to become registered buying books, kit etc etc.

Can you borrow from parents etc?

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly what sirkit has said in his post its not just the annual fee you have to think about .You have got the red regs book electricity at work calibration for your test equipment ,public liability the list goes on i reckon it probably takes months to get up and running thats before you think about continuity of work.You need to get building control involved and hopefully you then pick up other connecting work

Got testers etc - my last hurdle is the competent persons scheme and insurance.

They seem to be handing out funds left right and centre all these job centres for people so was just tring to find out.

Amazing the government say there is a shortage of tradesman and encourage people to learn a trade then when you have done that they want you to join a competent person scheme for half a grand BUT they dont want to help you fund that part.

CGC

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes thats exactly right at least you are on the right tracks regarding competent persons scheme give it a go if you dont ask you dont get with the funds you might get it with evidence of future work best of lucki

go to your local library there is a thing called "Funda finder" you can log on and find loads of money depending on the area you live in for all different things. some give it for courses and some for start up ect. it`s a real trawl and sometimes you don`t have anything ava but it`s worth an hour of your time if you get £450quid out of it

i've just been down this route and no funding for joining the scheme I ended up taking a £2000 business loan to pay for my registration, my van signage and my insurance premiums at least that way I know I am only paying out one payment per month

go to your local library there is a thing called "Funda finder" you can log on and find loads of money depending on the area you live in for all different things. some give it for courses and some for start up ect. it`s a real trawl and sometimes you don`t have anything ava but it`s worth an hour of your time if you get £450quid out of it

is this only at library? just tried google

Reply to Funding for Competent Persons Scheme?? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net