Discuss Fuse 40 with appliance 13 amps in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

dylan86

Hi there,

in the fuse box I hava fuse for 40 amps and an "heavy" wire going to the cooker.

However my cooker is 13 amps!
Normally I would have changed the 40 amps fuse from the box but the plug of the cooker is fused, with a 13 amps fuse.

So I guess that is enough to prevent the cooker from fusing in case a high electric charge goes through, right?

Thanks!

For a cooker the fuse you fit at the consumer unit is calculated by the kw used ie 7000divided 230 that will give you the mcb rating which then has to be greater or equal to cross reference that in the onsite guide for the instilation methods ie 100 101 etc and that will tell you the cable size and max cable run in conjunction with the mcb

Thanks a lot for your reply.

In my fuse box there is already a 40 amp fuse.

My appliance is 2040 w and should be connected to a 10/16 amp socket.

At this point I would change the 40 amp fuse with a 16 amp fuse.

However, in the appliance plug there is already a 13 amp fuse.

Should I leave it like this or should I change the main fuse as well?

To me it looks like it is already protected because of the 13amp in the appliance plug.

40 AMP FUSE ----- (HEAVY WIRE) ---------- SOCKET ---- (13 AMP FUSE IN THE PLUG) --------- APPLIANCE

Dylan; I read your post as saying you have a 40A. Cooker circuit terminating into a Cooker Control Unit with a 13A socket all in the one outlet plate. You have a Built in type oven ,I presume, and it is plugged into the socket. If this is so then Yes your oven is protected by the 13A fuse in its plug.

If it ain't broke leave it and if you do make any alterations it is notifiable to labc which if you are not part of a scheme provider will cost you a pretty penny and needs to be notified before work starts

Reply to Fuse 40 with appliance 13 amps in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net