Discuss fuse blowing randomley somtimes instantly sometimes in 10 to 20 mins driving me nuts in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

aabbcc112233

hi there

my downstairs lighting ring fuse blows randomly sometimes instantly sometimes in 10 to 20 mins. ive tried a multimeter continuation test to see if there is any contact between earth and live and neutral and live on that circuit . which there doesn't seem to be.

there is continuity between earth and neutral . this is also at the consumer box . only this fuse blows. ive tried opening up sockets and checked them for any obvious signs as well as light roses as well.

its driving me crazy.

cant seem to find the fault

any help on how to find the problem will be much appreciated. by the way the fuse first blew in the middle of the night.

Re: fuse blowing randomley somtimes instantly sometimes in 10 to 20 mins driving me n

hi there

my downstairs lighting ring fuse blows randomly sometimes instantly sometimes in 10 to 20 mins. ive tried a multimeter continuation test to see if there is any contact between earth and live and neutral and live on that circuit . which there doesn't seem to be.

there is continuity between earth and neutral . this is also at the consumer box . only this fuse blows. ive tried opening up sockets and checked them for any obvious signs as well as light roses as well.

its driving me crazy.

cant seem to find the fault

any help on how to find the problem will be much appreciated. by the way the fuse first blew in the middle of the night.

Do you mean switches??

Re: fuse blowing randomley somtimes instantly sometimes in 10 to 20 mins driving me n

Sorry to state the obvious, but call in a local electrician:smile:

time to get a sparks in with the relevant test equipment to trace the fault. a multimeter will not find the fault unless it's a dead short, and even then, doubtful. imago's in your neck of the woods.

Water ingress, heat damage, rodent damage, knackered cables, knackered accessories.

One of the above probably.

A spark with the correct test gear will locate the fault bud.. Just bite the bullet get some that can find the fault..

I'm not far if you need a spark to take a look

have you got any outside lights on the circuit or done any DIY recently

no outside lights and no diy done recently mate

Then it could be a number of things.. Sedgy 34 is local.. Get in contact with him.. With the right test gear it will narrow down what the fault is..

So a fault has just developed??? Can you post a pic of what's tripping in the distribution board

I see you're a student electrician. but yet you got sockets and switches mixed up. lol!
sedgy34 is obviously near to you.best get him in and mebbe watch him as he pinpoints the fault. you may learn something..!

second white fuse wire from the right keeps blowing. have to replace it with 5 amp fuse wire each time

20130122_201322.jpg

If its taking out a rewirable then its overload or dead short.. Unless you can pin point it to a persific light or switch then without a tester then its trial and error..

If it taking out a 3036 it a wonder you cant see or hear where the fault is

Im sure a man of your caliber can have it traced+rectified all within a few hours Sedgy. maybe even give him a cheeky discount for being a member on here...

you will get continuity between neutral and earth,unless you isolate the board,this is due to neutral and earth being connected at transformer,please note this will not apply if TT system.

Reply to fuse blowing randomley somtimes instantly sometimes in 10 to 20 mins driving me nuts in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net