Discuss fuse blowing in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
got asked to look at a job for a friend of a friend today

i know i should of done an ir test but workmate had van so had no testing equipment

heres the story

bloke had a loft hatch and ladders put it in but needed light moving so whoever did the hatch disconected light and but in jb for time being.
since he put in jb only 1 light worked upstairs so when i got the call today i said hes probley got wires mixed up last time i think out loud :D

so i get there getting power to 3 of 4 lights i swapped lamps just to make sure nothing daft like that worked on 1 took a switch off 1 of them 1 of wires had snapped off try that nope nothing turns out to be a break in the switch wire in the pendant aswel

anyway sorted the rest but wasnt getting poer to last on line belled out switch wire loop and belled it back to other pendant replaced cable as for some reason must of been a break in it.

i goto put fuse back in and pop fuse blows but when i take out switch wire it doesnt blow so sign of a problem on switch wire to me what do you think

sorry for long post

i will be going back to ir test this week when i get tester

It sounds more likely to be a mixed up switch wire connected as neutral, ive been fault finding for years and unless their is obvious mechanical damage its rare for wires to break within the cables. They usually only go at connection points and cable glands if there is any.The only other culprit is mice so check for gnaw marks and droppings.

the loft has been boarded out so im thinking they have screwed/nailed through the wire

its going to be a pain to take it all up but going to test the cable tomorow before i change it

this is last on line so only has 1 loop which iv re newed and the switch wire

a faulty switch wouldnt cause this would it as it does look old

the loft has been boarded out so im thinking they have screwed/nailed through the wire

its going to be a pain to take it all up but going to test the cable tomorow before i change it

this is last on line so only has 1 loop which iv re newed and the switch wire

a faulty switch wouldnt cause this would it as it does look old
Only a metal switch might cause a short circuit if it goes faulty but plastic ones rarely achieve this unless they fall to bits.

Reply to fuse blowing in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net