Discuss Fuse Constantly Tripping in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Please help!

A fuse keeps tripping over and over again. I have 100% narrowed it down to being on the "kitchen sockets" circuit and definitely not to do with overloading or any particular appliance being used.

Believe me, I have unplugged everything in the entire house and it still goes, had one thing plugged in at a time and it still goes, etc. It is not down to one particular socket or thing that's plugged in.

It started randomly in the middle of the night, we discovered it when we woke up. We have not done anything differently recently, nothing new plugged in, no new screws or nails put in walls.

What else could it be please and is it something I can fix myself / if not, will it be a quick/cheap job for an electrician to figure out and complete. I've already wasted £140 today on an electrician who did absolutely nothing.

Welcome to the forums, hopefully a local member will be able to help you out.

And I hate to say it, but if the "electrician" wasn't able to help you, then it wasn't an electrician. Any spark worth their salts should be able to find a fault that keeps blowing a fuse.

To help members, maybe post a pic of your consumer unit.

And please don't keep energising the circuit. Doing so could result in the earth being destroyed for example which could lead to a dangerous situation.

Please help!

A fuse keeps tripping over and over again. I have 100% narrowed it down to being on the "kitchen sockets" circuit and definitely not to do with overloading or any particular appliance being used.

Believe me, I have unplugged everything in the entire house and it still goes, had one thing plugged in at a time and it still goes, etc. It is not down to one particular socket or thing that's plugged in.

It started randomly in the middle of the night, we discovered it when we woke up. We have not done anything differently recently, nothing new plugged in, no new screws or nails put in walls.

What else could it be please and is it something I can fix myself / if not, will it be a quick/cheap job for an electrician to figure out and complete. I've already wasted £140 today on an electrician who did absolutely nothing.

Also there may be a number off appliances connected via fused connection units(FCUs). Things like dish washers, fridges etc.. could be causing the fault.

Failing that it's down to testing, testing and a bit more testing.

Is it the fuse that is blowing, or is it that circuit that is causing the RCD to trip?

A picture of your consumer unit will help.
Don't see how an Electrician couldn't find the fault or narrow the issue down to know where the problem is.

would have to be a serious fault to take more than half a day and £20 parts.

2 gallons of diesel, 2 hours drive. that's £50 extra as opposed to a local call. so plenty beer tokens left out of £140.

Is it the fuse that is blowing, or is it that circuit that is causing the RCD to trip?

A picture of your consumer unit will help.
Don't see how an Electrician couldn't find the fault or narrow the issue down to know where the problem is.

Most of the time it's the RCD, sometimes it's the specific kitchen sockets fuse. When I leave that fuse off the RCD does not trip.

I've uploaded a pic of the unit with RCD and fuse pointed out.

Fuse Constantly Tripping 20190225_205323 - EletriciansForums.net

Can you still use the downstairs sockets and upstairs lights when the RCD is on and the way No.6 is in the off position as the photo? this would give an indication that there is an L- earth fault on that circuit.

Obvious question not yet asked but you've not been, or paid someone, to drill any hole recently?

Also check that absolutely everything is off, you've unplugged all sockets but switching off FCUs will narrow it down further.

Can you still use the downstairs sockets and upstairs lights when the RCD is on and the way No.6 is in the off position as the photo? this would give an indication that there is an L- earth fault on that circuit.

Yes this is the way we have it at the moment, the kitchen sockets are off and everything else works.

If that's the case, is it an easy fix for an electrician?

If the RCD never trips with the kitchen sockets off then most probably a live-earth fault somewhere on that circuit.

Water could be the cause, do you have any external sockets, or perhaps lights fed via a fused connection unit? Leaky washing machine or dishwasher? Turn all isolators off for appliances in the kitchen, check cupboards for appliance sockets etc.

If none of that comes up trumps then I'm afraid you would need to get someone else in to test it. Were you at home when the other electrician came? What did he actually do and what did he tell you when he asked for payment?

Reply to Fuse Constantly Tripping in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock