Discuss Fuse link in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi folks,
Can anyone tell me more about a fuse link (I came across several in a communal cupboard today) . Was not expecting this and immediate thought was Bodget and Scarper had been here. Best described as a brass link similar to a piece of galv pipe inserted in place of a BS88..hence my concern!

Sometimes you get linked fuse-disconnectors and the neutral has a solid link (as you really don't want a separate fuse in neutral for several reasons) as described by Pete999.

More commonly you will see a distribution board (Ryefield Board) feeding cut-outs that have solid links instead of a (redundant) 2nd fuse, but I presume you might see the opposite in some cases? Odd as you really ought to have the OCPD before a run of cable!

Sometimes you get linked fuse-disconnectors and the neutral has a solid link (as you really don't want a separate fuse in neutral for several reasons) as described by Pete999.

More commonly you will see a distribution board (Ryefield Board) feeding cut-outs that have solid links instead of a (redundant) 2nd fuse, but I presume you might see the opposite in some cases? Odd as you really ought to have the OCPD before a run of cable!
This solid link is in the fuse holder IE live side

This solid link is in the fuse holder IE live side
I guess if it is feeding cut-outs that were already fused they might have elected to fit links instead just to allow isolation of the cables as needed, but usually it would be the other way round (fuses in the distribution board and local cut-out links for isolation when working on meter/CU tails)

Not a good idea to post your phone number on a global forum so I removed it. You should be able to attach an image by clicking on Attach files below.

Take your phone number down smartish before you get flooded with spam.
To start a DM, on PC... Look at top right of screen, just right of your name... Envelope icon. Click that and choose "start a new conversation" Type in recipients name and type your message.
Phone wont be much different

What device are you using and is the image on that device.
Got images attached...eventually!
[automerge]1591041046[/automerge]
Don't know how to PM on this platform :)
see pics attached..eventually!
[automerge]1591041122[/automerge]
Take your phone number down smartish before you get flooded with spam.
To start a DM, on PC... Look at top right of screen, just right of your name... Envelope icon. Click that and choose "start a new conversation" Type in recipients name and type your message.
Phone wont be much different
thanks my friend

Attachments

• IMG_20200601_110934.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20200601_110937 (1).jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 24
It is what's known as a Red Link, they do not have fuses fitted. The red colour identifies them.

Hi folks,
Can anyone tell me more about a fuse link (I came across several in a communal cupboard today) . Was not expecting this and immediate thought was Bodget and Scarper had been here. Best described as a brass link similar to a piece of galv pipe inserted in place of a BS88..hence my concern!

I'm going to have a wild guess here and say that the fuseholder is red and is part of a sealed cutout that you shouldn't even be pulling anyway?

Red fuse holders in a cutout are isolation links not fuse holders.

Reply to Fuse link in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net