Discuss Fuseboard change advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Don’t do many fuse board changes, but what’s everyone’s preferred method, as I see people without labelling the old cables swap boards connect up neutrals and earths then leave line conductors last but how do they make sure each correspond to each other so you can identify the circuit like the 1st Line conductor should correspond to the 1st neutral and 1st earth
Thanks

Each circuit one at a time N and E in the correct place to match the live so on and so forth, years back it was much easier as you had 4 circuits nowadays its easy yo fill up a 15 way with out thinking about it.

Thanks guys I’m just wondering as I’ve been watching some spark and he does all his neutrals and earths first then leaves line last just looks easy to get one conductor wrong but must know what he’s doing

For multicore cables I tend to label the line conductors and then put in the neutral and cpc for each physical cable and then refer to the labelling for each line to place in the OCPDs. However if you have say a small domestic board with cooker, ring, lights on one side and immersion, ring, lights on the other the size of cables makes it obvious and you only need to ensure the immersion is separate from the ring.
If you are not cable tying up the cores and not doing overly neat bunches of cores then just pulling on the line as you prepare to terminate should move the corresponding neutral, but it is a bit hit and miss.
Identification is probably a good idea in all cases, it can be done without labelling on boards so long as you are paying attention and have a good memory however it is generally better to ensure you are correct.

As with some of the others I label the line conductors. You find that you don't usually need to label them all, for example if there is only 1x6mm then you can't confuse it with any other line conductors. I label it by using a bit of insulation tape and physically writing on the tape what circuit it is.

I got a decent supply of number labels when i was ordering for the shop
corresponding neutrals and hots were marked with the same number (neutrals with letter n added)

You have to trust that the original board is correct regarding N and E in the same order as L.

I go with small sharpie marks on line conductor, but so far haven’t changed anything bigger than 8 way board.

I use flags and sharpie during the initial circuit testing after identifying what each cable supplies. Old boards tend to have multiple circuits on one fuse which in some cases require splitting onto separate mcb’s . I connect each circuit L N CPC A circuit at a time. Not sure if its the quickest but it works for me.

Consumer units are easy enough;
Dress in the neutrals, earths and then lives which have already been numbered up.
For dbs all depends on the layout..
Usually I will cut all the cables to the same length, number up the cores with wago push ons and then dress in as I go along..
The last few boards I’ve done have been bespoke ones.. Got an enclosure and populated with breakers, contractors, etc all mounted on din rails

Reply to Fuseboard change advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock