Discuss fuseboard change in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

gregorabbott

hi,new member here. when changing a fuseboard should i test and issue a test certificate when doing this job or only if the customer asks for one? and should i price the changing of the fuseboard and testing/certificate seperately?

you must do an EIC for the CU change, if you are to conform to regs... customer doesn't have a choice in the matter.

You have to issue a test certificat and test the installation , this type of works also come under Part P and is notifiable to the council , also this type of work should only be carried out by a competent and approved electrician

not a wind up. i know you are supposed to do a full test but when you tell customers this and give them a price they sometimes run a mile! i have been on websites looking at what people are quoting for fuseboard changes and there is no way they can be doing this properly with the low prices they are quoting! some prices were lower than 140 quid! i was just double checking! i have my 17th edition. not part p though since that does not apply in scotland!

hi,new member here. when changing a fuseboard should i test and issue a test certificate when doing this job or only if the customer asks for one? and should i price the changing of the fuseboard and testing/certificate seperately?

Oh dear:eek:. Prepare to be shot down and burn. Sorry mate, If you are a qualified and/or experienced electrician you wouldn't be asking this question. And this is not an electrical job to undertake if you are trying to cut your teeth in this profession. It is not something "to have a go at" either if you are an electrician but don't have the experience. And its a definite NO NO if you are a DIY'er without the correct test instruments.

Cheers..........Howard

i have been on websites looking at what people are quoting for fuseboard changes and there is no way they can be doing this properly with the low prices they are quoting! some prices were lower than 140 quid
Blimey.... what websites are those then ? I dread to think what sort of job they got !!!

perhaps this job is one where somebody he knows with more experience can oversee him doing the job. that way he will learn more, practically, than any amount of college course.

just to clarify on here that i am an electrician. i change fuseboards almost every day at work. i work in rewire squads. the way we work is that the rewire squads go in and rewire/upgrade the house then the testers come in and do the required testing. the reason i posted this question is that i am not 100 percent certain on the certification side of things as i do not have my inspection and testing certificate. surely its better to ask this question on a forum rather than just go do a job if i am not 100 percent certain? after all it is a forum......

Quite correct Gregor.

It's just we get a lot of DIYers trying it on. If you'd explained a bit more in your first post you would have had different answers.

Still, welcome along.:D

just to clarify on here that i am an electrician. i change fuseboards almost every day at work. i work in rewire squads. the way we work is that the rewire squads go in and rewire/upgrade the house then the testers come in and do the required testing. the reason i posted this question is that i am not 100 percent certain on the certification side of things as i do not have my inspection and testing certificate. surely its better to ask this question on a forum rather than just go do a job if i am not 100 percent certain? after all it is a forum......

And then someone lies on an EIC saying that they were responsible for the design, installation and I&T - and they've probably never been near the job.:)

Great this large-firm/competent person loophole, isn't it.

Personally, I think an electrician should be responsible for I&T on all his own work, it's part of the job, instead of this fast-track method.

I'm curious,

Once the 'Rewire Squad' have been in and done the rewire/CU change, do the 'testers' then go in and dismantle everything again, to do the testing correctly.......you know - 'Continuity of Ring Final', R1 + R2 etc??:)

can't see 'em pulling the CU wiring apart to test properly

Reply to fuseboard change in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock