Discuss Fused Spur and 1G 13A for double back-box? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

JohnGeddes

I have a project where I need to take a (fused) mains supply for an HVAC control box (in a village hall) without disturbing decor. The obvious answer would be to replace a 2G 13A socket (double backbox) with a combined double unit (or modular units fitting into a double faceplate) that provided a Fused Spur in place of 1G, leaving the user with 1G 13A still available. But I can't find anyone offering Fused Spur+1G 13A in a combined double-faceplate unit, nor can I find any modular system that would allow this.

Ideas, please.

John Geddes

One way would be a short legnth of 100x50 dado trunking mounted over the existing socket....into this you could fit a twin socket and FCU in the clip in boxes,and end caps to finish.Be neat and tidy.

Thanks for the suggestions, and so quickly!

The dual back-box would clearly allow mixing of any two single units - but only at the cost of knocking out more wall for the wider back-box. What I was looking for was a solution that DIDN'T involve risking damage to decor.

The trunking solution is one I will look at - but it is sad to have to contemplate surface-mounting when I have a recessed back-box that is theoretically big enough to accommodate both a fused spur and a 1G 13A if only somebody made a front-plate unit/module system in the right configuration.

John Geddes

If your careful you should be able to chop out the small bit needed without making any visible damage. The backbox that's there at the moment is not actually big enough to accommodate the two points.

AC Guys dont like Plugs Richard as they can be pulled out and not plugged back in

Dual box would be way to go if your good you shouldnt damage decoration while digging out even if you do it will only be small bit

It's not so much cutting out a small bit for a dual back box that will result in damage,it's getting the existing double box out....if there are flush cables into a KO the box has to be tilted to come out....which means a bigger hole.

This is a much worse solution, but you could set the HVAC control up as a spur from the double socket with an inline fuseholder either in the socket or the control box, I am not sure this would meet requirements for accessibility or identification but would fuse the supply.
This is not a good idea.

Reply to Fused Spur and 1G 13A for double back-box? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock