Discuss Fused Spur and Socket in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

wassupjg

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

In the example pic, if the double socket was already a single spur off a socket in the ring main, as I understand you can only have a single spur per socket from a ring, could a fused 13A switched spur for a cooker hood be taken from the spurred double socket, or does this go against the regs?

Is there a way to create an isolation for a cooker hood from the spurred socket?

Thanks!

Fused Spur and Socket 19260365_118592662074039_5246494468247573437_n - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:
It's not allowed by the regs, but if I came across this while doing an EICR, I wouldn't get too excited about it, if it only feeds an extractor fan drawing about 0.3A max. I'd make reference to it on the test certificate, but wouldn't call 'unsatisfactory' on that alone.

Is this socket is a spur already, then is the switch fuse beside it already a spur from a spur?

If the switch fuse is on the rfc, and the socket is spurred from that, then you’ll have an unfused spur (the socket) and a fused spur(the fan)

You can spur from a spur if the branch coming off the rfc is already fused down to 13A

Are you sure it’s an rfc on an 32A? and not perhaps a 16A radial circuit? In which case again, you can branch off anywhere

The spur from a spur rule only applies to ring circuits.

It's not allowed by the regs, but if I came across this while doing an EICR, I wouldn't get too excited about it, if it only feeds an extractor fan drawing about 0.3A max. I'd make reference to it on the test certificate, but wouldn't call 'unsatisfactory' on that alone.
Sorry pal it's a (70W) cooker hood, probably more powerful than a kitchen extractor fan, does this change things?

70W is slightly less than the 80W I guessed at.
Is this something that's already been done, and you're enquiring as to whether it's compliant?

Is this socket is a spur already, then is the switch fuse beside it already a spur from a spur?

If the switch fuse is on the rfc, and the socket is spurred from that, then you’ll have an unfused spur (the socket) and a fused spur(the fan)

You can spur from a spur if the branch coming off the rfc is already fused down to 13A

Are you sure it’s an rfc on an 32A? and not perhaps a 16A radial circuit? In which case again, you can branch off anywhere

The spur from a spur rule only applies to ring circuits.
Hi littlespark, pic is just an example the fused spur hasn't been added yet, yep it's a rfc on 32A. Planned 13A fused spur would be spurred off the double socket which itself is a single spur from the rfc (never said spur so many times).

70W is slightly less than the 80W I guessed at.
Is this something that's already been done, and you're enquiring as to whether it's compliant?
Hi brian, nope hasn't been done yet, if I complain it'll be complaining about my dad lol whose idea it was originally, we've done the electrics, having extended the rfc. Think I'll change the spurred double socket and include it as part of the rfc, and then the 13A cooker hood fused spur can come off that. Should I go to the effort of this or according to your previous reply not bother if it's 70W?

Reply to Fused Spur and Socket in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock