Discuss fused spur in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

dazza1981

Morning chaps
Im going to look at a job tonight on my way home where a guy says he has a garage fed from a 13 amp unswitched fused spur in his kitchen. { theres no rcd protection in this house }
He tells me the spur is red hot to touch and also a few months back a socket melted in his garage, off the top of my head he says he has a pond pump,tumble dryer and a flourescent light on a 3 amp switched fused spur.
I just wondered what you guys think on that information in relation to the melted socket and hot spur in kitchen { loose connections ?} Its sounds as if hes got alot of load coming from this 13 amp spur and wondering why the fuse has not blown if he is indeed running more than he says?. Obviously im going to test the circuit on arrival and look into the job properly but i thought as i have some spare time at work today i would see what you chaps think.
Thanks

Not a lot of load if it is as you have described -

Could be loose terminals or perhaps fault current (assuming high impedance Zs)

You can't really know until you have a look!

Very likely to be loose connection. Probably the same person connected the previous melted socket and the FCU, obviously forgot his torque screwdriver that day

Reply to fused spur in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hello, as a relatively newly qualified electrician (mature trainee who completed his NVQ in 2023) today was the first time I've seen a melted...
Replies
Views
Ok i may get slated for this one but here goes; A bit of background info first. Its been a while since ive looked at my iee regs, and ive not...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, We had an electrician over, who fitted a 40a MCB in the house consumer unit to supply a new build garage. It's underground SWA...
Replies
Views
I had an interesting little job this morning. Three sockets in an extension were not working and haven't worked for quite some time (years). It...
Replies
Views
I'm having an extension built and the builder leading the project has said that the electrician will be over in about 4-6 weeks to start his works...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock