Discuss Fused Spurs? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

dhdhdh

Looking for some advice on what the requirements / qualifications are to install fused spurs. I install security systems for a living and always use a sparky to have spur ready before we go in and install.

I want to be able to install spurs myself, where should I start in terms of qualifications?

Many Thanks

if you have an understanding of electricity and know when/how you can add a spur then it would only be classed as a minor works and if this is all you are doing then just do it and complete the cert.

you will need an understanding of rcd, bonding, spur of spur and testing equipment etc...

no brainer simples if you want to install fused spurs become an eletrician,people like you are undermining the trade of electrician

if you have an understanding of electricity and know when/how you can add a spur then it would only be classed as a minor works and if this is all you are doing then just do it and complete the cert.

you will need an understanding of rcd, bonding, spur of spur and testing equipment etc...

well my 5 years training are a load of **** lol if u understand electricity come on please

Last edited by a moderator:
people like me have trained 5 years to become an electrician have you undertaken an electrical courses are you competent enough /jib registered

people like me have trained 5 years to become an electrician have you undertaken an electrical courses are you competent enough /jib registered

I asked a question.. What are are the requirements / qualifications to install a fused spur.

Your answer given was.. Become an electrician!

Moral of this story, 'Become' a Plumber before replacing your bathroom taps, and / or (also) before asking how it is done on a forum.

:rolleyes:

just go and do 17th edition regs course and get part p. thats the minimum i would think. if you understand the main principles of the regs you should be fine

I think this is what the 'defined scope' things are for with the part p schemes, isn't it? You're probably better giving one of them a ring, I'd imagine you'll probably have to do some 5 day course.... alternatively, if you're in the South Wales area, I'll put them in for you for cheap.

Looking for some advice on what the requirements / qualifications are to install fused spurs. I install security systems for a living and always use a sparky to have spur ready before we go in and install.

I want to be able to install spurs myself, where should I start in terms of qualifications?

Many Thanks

as far as i know 17th edition would class you as competent,we all done the 16th edition for the same reason a few years ago,so 17th should do it,some other lads on here might be able to shed more light on it but you dont need to be a spark to fit a spur

Probably not the politically correct answer on here, but it is the right one, get Part P qualification and 2391 testing and you are then considered competant to install

Correct me if im wrong but aslong as the spur isn't in a bathroom or a kitchen then he wouldn't need part P? If it literally is a spur that is and not a new circuit from the D.B.
Obviously the bonding issue etc you would need to take into consideration and test equipment as other people have said.

Give the Geezer a break..he installs alarms,run off Electrickery..not bleeding water,so he must have some understanding of it all.....and at least hes asking questions to make sure he does it right and not just going for it...how many sparks put alarms/security systems in without even reading the manual,then stand there like a prize ***** scratching themselves when theres bells ringing all around them...calm down with the **** responses,people are on here firstly for information...to ask,to pass it on or to verify...not to be made small by turds who are lacking in confidence!!!!!!!!!!

I asked a question.. What are are the requirements / qualifications to install a fused spur.

Your answer given was.. Become an electrician!

Moral of this story, 'Become' a Plumber before replacing your bathroom taps, and / or (also) before asking how it is done on a forum.

:rolleyes:

I think all parties need to take a breath, I can see all sides of the discussion, last time checked the regs I don't think changing Bathroom taps could induce a 50mA leakage to a human resulting in death, what your doing could...BUT your quite right to ask how to do it correctly in my view, so your going the right route, do a defined scope course, learn the Physics and principles behind the relationship between current/Voltage/ resistance and you will be much wiser and much safer IMHO

just come back in and had a read through a couple of posts on here. for a moment i thought i was on one of the other forums. lets NOT let this one go the same way. the way we conduct ourselves on here is, if we don`t want to reply to a question we Don`t. keep it civil and keep the good standards up that we have achieved on here it`s a great place to be lets not spoil it.

Probably not the politically correct answer on here, but it is the right one, get Part P qualification and 2391 testing and you are then considered competant to install

How do you get a Part P qualification when there is no such thing?:rolleyes:

To put in a fused spur, spur off a local socket if it hasnt been spurred off already, surface mount cable so no RCD needed as long as it isnt in a special location covered by part P. Do the required tests Insulation resistance and earth fault loop impedence and R1 R2. RCD if applicable.Issue minor works, Job done.
Get someone to show you how to test properly and fill in the paperwork.

Cheers.........Howard

Reply to Fused Spurs? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net