Discuss Fused switch with two feeds but no load? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

alexp

-
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 13A fuse switch in my airing cupboard that has never done anything. I thought maybe years ago it was for an electric shower but there was no wiring in the bathroom when I re fitted it so can't be that. Upon opening the switch there are two sets of wires, 2xred(L), 2xblack(N) and two earth. But the 2 Ls go into the L supply terminal and the 2 Ns in the N supply terminal. So is this acting as a termination block? I checked the Live wires and both definitely have power when switch on so neither is a load wire.

Any input much appreciated

Last edited:
It's likely to be part of a ring circuit (or socket circuit in non electrical talk). The electricity flows both ways around the ring circuit, so both cables are indeed feeds, and they should be supplied from the same fuse or circuit breaker in your consumer unit (fuse box).

It's likely to be part of a ring circuit (or socket circuit in non electrical talk). The electricity flows both ways around the ring circuit, so both cables are indeed feeds, but they will be supplied from the same fuse or circuit breaker in your consumer unit (fuse box).
Thanks. Correct, both wires run off of one of two "socket" switches in the consumer unit.

What's the purpose though? Is it simply to have the possibility of running something off it?

There are two immersion heater switches as well but they run off their own dedicated switches in the consumer unit. So yeah maybe a shower I guess. Just wanted to be sure when I change the switch to a newer one that the wiring is okay as is. Thanks.

As mentioned, likely to have been put in for something that is no longer there - boiler, shower pump, intruder alarm, something that used to be in the bathroom or loft, etc. Quite common to find redundant FCUs in immersion cupboards.

If it is not being used, not sure why you'd want to change the switch to a newer one - I assume it is not 'on display' and needing to look pretty amongst the drying towels etc.

If not used, the connections could be put into connectors (e.g. Wagos) and a cover plate fitted instead - that would save someone in the future wondering what it is for. If part of the ring for a socket ring final circuit, it is vital you keep the connections as they are, to avoid a break in the ring.

If you simply want rid of it then the cables must be still connected to complete the ring. However, if you simple see no need for it and want a more modern look, etc, then you could replace it with a 13A socket which might have an occasional use.

If you simply want rid of it then the cables must be still connected to complete the ring. However, if you simple see no need for it and want a more modern look, etc, then you could replace it with a 13A socket which might have an occasional use.
Could be that there never has been a load and the cables in the live side of the spur are forming the ring final circuitry

Reply to Fused switch with two feeds but no load? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock