Discuss Fuses lead/Unfused and GS 38 Leads in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Could you more experienced testers explain your working methods for the use of the three variants of leads used with a Multifunction tester ?

As I understand it to be GS38 compliant they have to be 500mA fused but this makes them unsuitable for loop testing as this adds a large resistance to the leads ( But can't this be nulled out ? ) So perhaps just for dead tests ?

The other option is the 10A fused leads which will offer short circuit protection but are not GS38 compliant

Or stick with non-fused and make sure I work with good safe working practise ?

Oddly the new Megger came with non-fused with the option to purchase the other.

Thanks for looking.
ATB Steve

A 500mA fuse in a lead will blow the moment you conduct a loop test, due to the large currents used for these, anywhere from about 9A to 25A. A 10A fuse is normally the way to go...

Personally though, I don't use fused test leads at all and apart from a few bangs and some very sorry looking probe tips I've never had a problem...

a 500ma fuse in a lead will blow the moment you conduct a loop test, due to the large currents used for these, anywhere from about 9a to 25a. A 10a fuse is normally the way to go...

Personally though, i don't use fused test leads at all and apart from a few bangs and some very sorry looking probe tips i've never had a problem...

:d:d:d

same here mate i have megger 1552 leads are not fused i was told they dont have to be as there is a 500mA in the tester when i asked about this was told it was fine without as thats how they are manufactured the fluke ones i used at college did have pain in the ? keep swapping fuse about when changing tips and clips for 2391 exam wish i had took my megger with me
I was thinking the same thing as GS38 states they should be so??? in answer to your question

I have unfused leads, GS38 compliant 500mA fused leads and 10A fused leads. And swap them about depending on what I'm doing.

Reply to Fuses lead/Unfused and GS 38 Leads in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net