Discuss Fusing of fans to comply with manufacturers recommended instructions in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Might be nonsensical but as per The Wiring Regulations which in the UK we have to follow the manufacturers instructions supersede the Regulations and the greatest knowledge of all the electrician

This is not the case. The regulations ask us to "take account of" manufacturer's instructions. This has recently been changed from the previous wording of "must be followed"

The reason for this is the proliferation of less than useful or appropriate info that is included in some products. Some would ask us to install to lesser standards than BS7671 asks.

Might be nonsensical but as per The Wiring Regulations which in the UK we have to follow the manufacturers instructions supersede the Regulations and the greatest knowledge of all the electrician

Rubbish. Manufacturers instructions are for guidance only and yes we have to take account of them. But we do not have to follow them, especially when they are wrong.

In this case,
1. FCUs are not needed or used on lighting circuits which are already adequately protected.
2. A 3a FCU offers no discrimination against a 6a MCB in spite of 'Contacts' post above.
3. The fuse is to protect the cable, not the device on the end of it. It would be non compliant for a manufacturer to fit a cable so small it required 3a protection.
4. How would the manufacturers instructions be complied with in all the other countries where FCUs are neither available nor compliant?

2. A 3a FCU offers no discrimination against a 6a MCB in spite of 'Contacts' post above.

Why are so many people saying this? If you look at the time/current trip curves - then the 3amp fuse will trip first?

Am I missing something?

I’m not sure. Shall I ask Winston1 on diynot.com? He keeps banging on about exactly this, in the same way that you do.

He also has a thing about transformers, and not having 13A sockets on lighting circuits too.

Exactly the same bees that you have in your bonnet. Hmm, makes you wonder, do you have a long-lost identical twin?

It would have to be a rather crappy fan for the motor not to have a thermal fuse embedded in the windings.

Assuming you bring all wiring back to bathroom light, how about an inline fuse here, space permitting?
It wouldn't work in my bathroom as I have spots, but the vast majority of installs I do, I use Polo lights.

Reply to Fusing of fans to comply with manufacturers recommended instructions in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock