Discuss Future proofing wiring for flat in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

egginyourface

Evening all,

Will be rewiring my flat in a couple of days and would like to go all out. I will be wiring 3x cat6 per room, tv points etc. spots, power points every where etc.

Are there any other things I could run that I might connect in the future, possibly electric blinds points?. Possibly separate heating zone for each room, ( May be overkill)

thanks

I know what I want power wise. It's funny that now the time has come to actually do my own place I have no idea what's out there that I could do.

Just googling electric blinds and prices are a joke! Don't think I will be having them

Could run a 16mm armoured to each room and have its own db. That would future proof it for when we are all living in studio flats within a flat

Don't forget to install a power supply for the spaceship landing pad lighting!

If you're into home theatre (surround speakers etc) get the two (or more) rear/side speakers tubed in up the walls. Gets rid of all the trailing or otherwise clipped speaker cables etc.... I spec'd that for my own house i had built in Cyprus... lol!!

My opinion is the only way to make a property 'futureproof' is to make is as rewireable as possible, as in ducts wherever you might need to draw in whatever new-fangled cables tomorrow may bring.
Depending on what you might want to do I would suggest taking everything to a central hub to allow for future upgrade to a central audio, lighting, data, or complete home automation system.
If you don't want that it can be linked through in the meantime.

I wasn’t joking about the divorce.

Twenty years in the same house, constantly altering things mainly to suit her. Never did get to the stage of saying “that’s it, it’s finished”.

I’ve never touched a domestic job in the nineteen years since.

nah. just need doors that stay open and a few hundred watt hi-fi with a stack of heavy rock cds.

Agree with murdoch - DO NOT use cheap coax cable for anything! Daz

Reply to Future proofing wiring for flat in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net