Discuss gaining experience in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Jason Arthur

hi, i am currently studying electrical engineering at college in scotland. what kind of domestic work am i allowed to do to gain experience? as im studying i am aware that i cannot charge people for the work, and i dont intend to. all i would like is the hands on experience of the job, to keep it fresh. i am aware of the corgi appliances and places like bathrooms i am not able to do, but am i allowed to fit light fitting, sockets and switches? do i need my work approved and signed off by a qualified electrician?

hi, i am currently studying electrical engineering at college in scotland. what kind of domestic work am i allowed to do to gain experience? as im studying i am aware that i cannot charge people for the work, and i dont intend to. all i would like is the hands on experience of the job, to keep it fresh. i am aware of the corgi appliances and places like bathrooms i am not able to do, but am i allowed to fit light fitting, sockets and switches? do i need my work approved and signed off by a qualified electrician?

Tell me, ...what's domestic electrical work got to do with ''Electrical Engineering''?? Hell's Bell's, ...talk about chalk and cheese!! lol!!!

I agree with E54. An electrical engineer would not be allowed to install work in site. Often they have little or no installation experience.
Some will, often they have gone through the apprentice, electrician, technician and then engineer route.
If you want to learn the skills of electrical installation, then do an apprenticeship alongside your college work.
At what level are you studying elec engineering? ONC?

Tell me, ...what's domestic electrical work got to do with ''Electrical Engineering''?? Hell's Bell's, ...talk about chalk and cheese!! lol!!!
sorry, dont mean to sound rude but currently in the workshop at college we are fitting 240v power supplies through switches to lampholders - bayonet and eddison. joint boxes, intermediate lighting circuits, one and two way circuits, parrallel, series and loop circuits and resistive circuits. i am also learning about hv generation, transformation and transmittion of electrical energy. i only want to gain more workplace experience

- - - Updated - - -

Erm? Like gas fires? :S
boilers, things that need the spark to ignite.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with E54. An electrical engineer would not be allowed to install work in site. Often they have little or no installation experience.
Some will, often they have gone through the apprentice, electrician, technician and then engineer route.
If you want to learn the skills of electrical installation, then do an apprenticeship alongside your college work.
At what level are you studying elec engineering? ONC?
thanks, i am studying nc, i opted for this course as i wanted to get the foundations correct so i had something to build on. i have done lots of work, but mainly repairing things in barns on the farm and didnt seem to have any problems there. i have also hung many light fittings in my own house, replacing switches etc.

Are you sure it's electrical engineering and not something like electro-technical installation? I'm not taking the ****, the 'sparky' course from City and Guilds in England is called electro-technical installation and is completely different from an electrical engineer's course.

Didn't and don't consider you as being rude Jason. After your last post above, i must admit i'm just a bit baffled as to what type of course your actually studying at collage??

What's NC ?? ie What qualification will you hold on completion of your course??

Are you sure it's electrical engineering and not something like electro-technical installation? I'm not taking the ****, the 'sparky' course from City and Guilds in England is called electro-technical installation and is completely different from an electrical engineer's course.
i am studying "int 2 electrical engineering", full time. it consists of comms, math, it, basic concepts, dc restrictive networks, health and safety at work reports, fundimental electrical systems and electric workshop.

When I did my training many moons ago. I'm also a electrical engineer. we was shown how to do all the basics 15th edition at the time, but I only really learned domestic electrics when I started my own business, 15 years later working as a engineer is nothing like working in e domestic field but does help with fault finding principles that you will learn in the commercial field. Jobs you are doing if under part p need to be registered to do the work or get counsel approval and counsel testing.

so just to clarify, i cant do big installations or jobs outlined in part p. i am only looking to do the type of work a home diy'er would be capable of, i.e refitting switches, sockets and light fittings. im dont want to get myself in any trouble.

As far as i know, there is no Pat Pee in Scotland!! Don't really know what happens up there in the freezing north!! lol!!

I'm sure a Scottish electrician will be here soon to guide you on what can and can't be done up there in Scotland!!...lol!!!

Part P is only for them who live across the border lol
. not up in gods country lol , If you wont to do install work for a company or work for yourself and be a member of select or niciec

Didn't and don't consider you as being rude Jason. After your last post above, i must admit i'm just a bit baffled as to what type of course your actually studying at collage??

What's NC ?? ie What qualification will you hold on completion of your course??

E54 I think you will find that the old ONC is now referred to as a NC, another qualification they have been messing about with

I thought part P was just all a big farce for kitchen fitters to be able to fit a socket.

My understanding is if I have my 2330 lvl 2&3 and an NVQ3 I'm considered compitent meaning that part p is deemed pointless unless requested by an employer because if a problem was to happen I could prove my compitence and knowledge of bs7671 through me being a qualified spark.

Is this wrong?

I thought part P was just all a big farce for kitchen fitters to be able to fit a socket.

My understanding is if I have my 2330 lvl 2&3 and an NVQ3 I'm considered compitent meaning that part p is deemed pointless unless requested by an employer because if a problem was to happen I could prove my compitence and knowledge of bs7671 through me being a qualified spark.

Is this wrong?

Why would a employer ask for it?

Part P is a Building Regulation not a qualification

Why would a employer ask for it?

Part P is a Building Regulation not a qualification

By employer I meant a client like the council or social housing company who want Domestic work Carried out.
And yes part p is a reg just like bs7671 is but you can take 2383 to become certified in that reg.

Reply to gaining experience in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net