Discuss galvanised steel in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

the pict

-
Mentor
Reaction score
Whats best to get a good earth grind it off and re-paint or bolt to the surface, is galvy a good conductor ? trying to weld it would suggest it aint
\pict

zinc is actually a better conductor than the steel.

the fumes given off by galv when welding are poisonous, so dont breathe them in.The best way is to grind off the surface coating then after making the connection cover the area with cold galvanising spray to protect it from corrosion.

Cheers Guys, not goning to weld it just from experience welding is a pain in the ar££e just drill it out it was more a question of do I need to gring off an area surrounding the bolt head
P

Cheers Guys, not goning to weld it just from experience welding is a pain in the ar££e just drill it out it was more a question of do I need to gring off an area surrounding the bolt head
P
yes that would help

No need to grind coating as regards conductivity. On a scale where copper =100%, steel is up to 15%, zinc 27%.

Why would you need to grind off a hot dip Zinc coating (galvanised coating)?? Non conductive paint, powder finishes and clear coat finishes Yes, but a highly conductive hot dip Zinc coating NOooooo!!

to grind or not to grind,one for the tester I think, might rig it up today and see what impedance readings I get on the coated surface, got my annuall NICEIC visit today I will run it past him, although I think I know what the answer will be, guesses anyone.

Why would you need to grind off a hot dip Zinc coating (galvanised coating)?? Non conductive paint, powder finishes and clear coat finishes Yes, but a highly conductive hot dip Zinc coating NOooooo!!

exactly.

Just one of those things, the place I was at they had you grind everything and I just got used to doing it, If they wanted to spend vast amounts on galv spray who was I to argue? Plus it came in handy at home.

My limited understanding always led to me believe in many instances, zinc dips were actually done to improve the conductivity of the surface...surely, as mentioned previously numerous times, the need to grind and re-coat is somewhat redundant. time could be better spent drinking a cup of tea?

My limited understanding always led to me believe in many instances, zinc dips were actually done to improve the conductivity of the surface...surely, as mentioned previously numerous times, the need to grind and re-coat is somewhat redundant. time could be better spent drinking a cup of tea?
couldn't agree more mate but if that's what the bosses want that's what you give em,ours is not to reason why.

Nope, Hot Dip Zinc plating is purely for it's corrosion protection properties of mild steel, and some other metals.

And by providing good corrosion protection, it helps to ensure good continuity of the bond in the future. An uncoated mild steel surface left after grinding is totally dependant on the zinc-rich paint to prevent it rusting, which would lead to failure of the connection. Paint is surely second-best to galvanising?

Reply to galvanised steel in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock