Discuss garage 3 way unit needs changing IEC or not in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

kyranocat

Hi quick question our garage 3 way unit is broken beyond recognition if i get a guy in to sort it does it need IEC its feeding 2 circuits sockets and lights from 32amp breaker (main consumer unit).
would appreciate advice

thanks

I am thinking you mean a Electrical Installation Certificate, not a IEC?

Then yes it does. It is also notifiable under Part P of the building regulations.

not if it's a straight forward replacement, same rating of OCDs

EIC sorry thats what i meant , according to niceic any change in consumer units is notifiable and requires an EIC. but getting mixed messages from people

Although the sentence before does say
Replacement, repair and maintenance jobs are generally not notifiable, even if carried out in a kitchen or special location or associated with a special installation.

So make of that what you like. :book:

For what its worth a consumer unit change is often an oldish BS3036 rewireable type unit being replaced with a unit with RCD's and MCB's.

From what you've said you need a driect replacement for an old CU, so as long as the new CU uses identical MCB's then its not, IMHO, notifiable. An EIC would be in order though.

Post a photo!

EDIT: Call me cynical but is this yours are are you trying to avoid part P for a client?

Last edited by a moderator:
The way I read it was, originally in part P it said :
Replacement, repair and maintenance jobs are generally not notifiable, even if carried out in a kitchen or special location or associated with a special installation.

and people were replacing CU's as non notifiable, this was a mistake in the original Part P document and this was later amended to say CU replacement is notifiable regardless.

Part Pee, need I say more ?​

It is extremely unlikely that a CU will be completely like-for-like. On nearly every occasion it will be done to either add RCD protection, upgrade from rewireable to MCB OCP, or simply allow the addition of circuits. Even if it were like-for-like, the characteristics of the RCD would be different..
EIC every time...

As needasparks says, an EIC is definatly neccassary to check the safety of the existing circuits and It shouldn't take more than 15 or 20 minutes to fill one in with the required infomation. Whether the job is Part P notifiable however is another question and a debatable one at that. Personally, I would notify it to be on the safe side. Why wouldn't you want paperwork that proves that your existing installation is safe and the replacement has been fitted by a (supposedly) competant tradesman? An extra half an hour and a part p notification shouldn't put more than about £30 on the whole job (inc VAT)

As needasparks says, an EIC is definatly neccassary to check the safety of the existing circuits and It shouldn't take more than 15 or 20 minutes to fill one in with the required infomation. Whether the job is Part P notifiable however is another question and a debatable one at that. Personally, I would notify it to be on the safe side. Why wouldn't you want paperwork that proves that your existing installation is safe and the replacement has been fitted by a (supposedly) competant tradesman? An extra half an hour and a part p notification shouldn't put more than about £30 on the whole job (inc VAT)

Indeed. It is only a power circuit and a lighting circuit afterall.

Reply to garage 3 way unit needs changing IEC or not in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net