Discuss Garage alteration in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

PAD66

-
Reaction score
Hi All
Installing a 2nd CU in a garage, the garage is currently fed by a 4mm t&e cable (overhead) direct from the cu in the house protected by a 32A mcb. I've been asked to replace this with a SWA to go under the new path, I intend to install a Wylex board with a 63A 30ma RCD incomer, 6A mcb lights, 16A mcb socket. The bit I'm unsure about is the customer requires a further feed to a second detached garage, I intend to run about 25mtrs of 4mm swa from the new cu to a double pole switch then a 2 gang socket and then a fcu and switch for a florescent fitting. The customer has said he might want to add an electric gate which would be attached to this garage. Would it be OK to protect this circuit with a 20A mcb or should I fit a 32A in case of the additional loading at a later date

Regards
PAD66

fit a 20A. you can always upgrade later. better still, use 6mm instead of 4mm, as you are already installing 6mm from the house. don't forget that if either outbuilding has extrasneous metalwork and it's PME, you'll need to run in 10mm bonding.

Im presuming the main CU in the house doesn't have a RCD?
So you intend to run the power from the new CU to the second garage. Can't you just run a separate cable back to the house CU? That way if the new CU trips it doesnt take out the second garage.. I suppose it all depends on the layout of the buildings...

I would say a 20A CB to the second garage, as you only have a 32A at the origin anyway. This will give you some discrimination. I'm sure the electric gate wont add too much to the loadings

Reply to Garage alteration in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, if getting back to the CU is not an option, instead of spurring off a socket via a Sfs putting the rating down to 13a. Could you spur off the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Newly qualified electrician here who is in the process of re-wiring my own property. I have recently converted my old CU (if I can call...
Replies
Views
I just finished a garden room supply. The customer already had a CPN garage consumer unit that the last sparks left there, brand new in box, and...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, We had an electrician over, who fitted a 40a MCB in the house consumer unit to supply a new build garage. It's underground SWA...
Replies
Views
Please advise what I should test / check next. My usual qualified electrician who did all of the work here is in Ireland for 4 weeks and not...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock