Discuss Garage consumer unit query in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello, I'd like some help with my set up. I've not long moved into a house and want to have a small CU in the garage running a few sockets and a light circuit, pretty standard stuff.
At present there is a 10mm AC running from the house CU to the garage, about 30ft run, that had a metal double socket on the end of it just lying on the garage floor. The AC (live) is wired into a MCB in the house CU that also runs a few socket's!. The garage socket can be used with no issues at present.
My reason for doing this is if something happens in the garage it doesn't trip the house out.
So my question is how is best to wire it without causing tripping issues with 2 CU's ??

Cheers Dave

to achieve thsi you need either a hi-integrity CU with a a non-RCD protected spare way. this can be RCBO if the sub-main cable requires. or, split the tails into the CU and go from therer. not a DIY job. as mad murdoch says, call in a local electrician.

What Te
to achieve thsi you need either a hi-integrity CU with a a non-RCD protected spare way. this can be RCBO if the sub-main cable requires. or, split the tails into the CU and go from therer. not a DIY job. as mad murdoch says, call in a local electrician.
What Tel and Mad Murdoch said

Whilst this is above the class of DIY and you seem to have advocated getting an electrician in maybe post a picture of your existing consumer unit as we could be able to let you know if possible to put on an unprotected RCD way. Are you sure it is 10mm as a bit of a squeeze
to get it in a double socket?

It's probably 10mm in diameter of entire cable rather the CSA on a single conductor

IMG_20180630_143815517_HDR.jpg Apologies for the late reply, been camping for a couple of weeks in Devon with my daughter's.......as you can see the board has 2 spare ways. The armour cable core wires are the brown ( connected to a house socket MCB!) and the grey you can see connected with the rest of the neutrals. ....so how can I get my garage CU to work without tripping. It's got 2 ways on it a radial light circuit with 5 bayonets & a ring with 4 socket's, I've checked and rechecked the connections, no obvious fault .....any more advice be greatly appreciated, thanks, Dave

that boards looks well overcrowded. time for an upgrade to either a hi-integrity dual RCD board, or RCBOs and 1 or 2 non-RCD ways. think a 15 or 16 way would be about right. ( thats usable ways, excluding main switch and RCDs).

Thanks for the photos, interesting to see the swa isn't earthed by the looks on the armour.
You would need that and also some kind of protection to disconnect the swa in case of a fault. Eg separate RCD

Reply to Garage consumer unit query in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net