Discuss Garage consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi there.

I am looking to have a consumer unit installed in my garage to mainly supply my air conditioning units as mains outdoor fed?
Currently There is a 2.5mm Twin & earth b16 amp from main consumer unit feeding a double socket within garage.
Any idea how much it would cost to put a consumer unit in garage max for supplies as lights must be fed by main ring of house?

Hi there.

I am looking to have a consumer unit installed in my garage to mainly supply my air conditioning units as mains outdoor fed?
Currently There is a 2.5mm Twin & earth b16 amp from main consumer unit feeding a double socket within garage.
Any idea how much it would cost to put a consumer unit in garage max for supplies as lights must be fed by main ring of house?
What are the total oads for the Garage supply? a 2.5 mm2 doesn't seem to be large enough for A/Cs and all the other stuff you may require in your Garage.
You would probably require a dedicated new supply from your house CU to cater for the loads, Without dims etc it's impossible to tel you what you may need on an internet forum.
A site visit and a detailed tech survey is required.

Last edited by a moderator:
What are the total oads for the Garage supply? a 2.5 mm2 doesn't seem to be large enough for A/Cs and all the other stuff you may require in your Garage.
You would probably require a dedicated new supply from your house CU to cater for the loads, Without dims etc it's impossible to tel you what you may need on an internet forum.
A site visit and a detailed tech survey is required, unless of course you go with Bert's assessment from the Local Boozer.
Sorry forgot to add. They are inverters so won't pull high amps. But 3 air cons require 16amps and 4th for garage sockets 16 amp

Generally 2.5mm is good for 20A at best, so even before considering the length and voltage drop limits it is looking marginal to use that existing feed.

As Pete999 said you need a lot more detail for the design so best to get a couple of quotes for it from local sparks. Check out their reputation, membership of professional bodies, etc. You might even find some on here are close enough to you to pay a visit.

If you have any other queries coming back from it then let us all know the details.

It very much depends.

The actually "fitting of a garage CU" should be easy to get an estimate, but the "safe and compliant fitting of a garage CU" means looking at the supply, feed cable, and any other specifics of the loads and that could add quite a bit if the resulting changes means a day of wrangling new armoured cable from the house to the garage, etc.
[automerge]1598203506[/automerge]
At a very rough guess I would hazard somewhere between £150-500 depending on the actual circumstances. Others on here who do this sort of thing regularly might have a better idea, but nobody will commit to anything without seeing it first.

It very much depends.

The actually "fitting of a garage CU" should be easy to get an estimate, but the "safe and compliant fitting of a garage CU" means looking at the supply, feed cable, and any other specifics of the loads and that could add quite a bit if the resulting changes means a day of wrangling new armoured cable from the house to the garage, etc.
[automerge]1598203506[/automerge]
At a very rough guess I would hazard somewhere between £150-500 depending on the actual circumstances.
Thank you for your reply.

I have seen quite a few domestic AC units on a 13a plug top...
So have I, I was commenting on the other stuff connected to what is in reality a spur from a RFC, the AC/S will have inrush currents to consider, hence my concerns over the spur to the CU, not an ideal job is it really? what say you? or do you think that a 13 Amp plug is sufficient? Additionally the OP does not mention haw many A/Cs or their electrical loads.

Reply to Garage consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net