Discuss Garage Conversion Certification Advice in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

ATD

-
Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I am a time served domestic electrician but have been factory based for the last 8 years meaning my SJIB card has lapsed.

I am currently converting an internal garage at my house and am doing the electrical work myself.

I am installing 2 new sockets on an existing circuit and moving a light switch.

Will this require a minor works cert or similar? I’m am off the pace with this kind of thing.

Thanks in advance.

Alteration to an existing circuit, Minor new works cert, MNWC
New circuit EIC.

If you are talking about the dreaded Partpee , then no your job doesn't sound like it falls under 'notification'

It does still however need to comply with current building and wiring regs , but does not need to be scam notified

It’s a bit of a grey area for me. The existing circuits are surface run in PVC conduit. I’d be looking to re run the cables into the partition wall so although it’s teechnivally the same circuit I’d be rewriting it I suppose. The garage has it’s own consumer unit which I intend on keeping.

It’s a bit of a grey area for me. The existing circuits are surface run in PVC conduit. I’d be looking to re run the cables into the partition wall so although it’s teechnivally the same circuit I’d be rewriting it I suppose. The garage has it’s own consumer unit which I intend on keeping.
If you intend ripping the existing out then the replacement will require an EIC.

If you intend ripping the existing out then the replacement will require an EIC.
sorry pete. haveto disagree here. the circuit is existing and he's only altering it.albeit with new cable. the OCPD is the origin of the circuit and no matter what he does downstream of that, it's not a new circuit.

sorry pete. haveto disagree here. the circuit is existing and he's only altering it.albeit with new cable. the OCPD is the origin of the circuit and no matter what he does downstream of that, it's not a new circuit.
I'll bow to your considerable knowledge Mate, that was just my take on the situation, in defence though surely disregarding the OCPD, the wiring would be new, so a new circuit, albeit from an existing Consumers unit, but if that's the way it is so be it. Tel is rarely wrong OP so my apologies for my mistake.

to be fair to you pete, , it's a bit of a grey area. as usual with IET, nothing is clearly defined. if your broom has had 14 new handles and 17 new heads, is it still the same broom?

If you remove one cable from an mcb , leave the mcb where it is and pop a new cable into Z mcb is it an existing alteration ?

to be fair to you pete, , it's a bit of a grey area. as usual with IET, nothing is clearly defined. if your broom has had 14 new handles and 17 new heads, is it still the same broom?
Grey area Tel, wouldn't blurred be more appropriate? Let me give another scenario then, if the OP had his existing CU in the Garage, and for arguments sake, the installer had fitted a pare MCB say 20 Amp with no circuit connected, and the OP in his wisdom decided "I'll wire my new sockets from that OCPD" would that be a new circuit, or altering an existing"? Don't get me wrong, I can see where you are coming from, and you are correct, very confusing, the IET in their wisdom need to clarify this sort of thing, otherwise, there will be loads of unwanted EICs floating around, and Electricians country wide scratching their collective bonces in wonderment at the IET's ineptitude of the real world, what say you Mate?

That was aimed at #12 but your post popped up inbetween. I don't see a grey area at all, complete new circuit or complete rewire of an existing circuit which is no longer existing as it had gone an EIC, alteration to an existing MWC.

If you wire the portion between mcb and say half way but leave the remain half untouched is this new , half new , existing ?

That was aimed at #12 but your post popped up inbetween. I don't see a grey area at all, complete new circuit or complete rewire of an existing circuit which is no longer existing as it had gone an EIC, alteration to an existing MWC.
Ah right thanks for clarifying.

Reply to Garage Conversion Certification Advice in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock