Discuss Garage conversion ideas?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

BC-Electrical

I'm in the process of designing an installation for a friend of mine who has recently purchased his council property with the right-to-buy scheme. Its a studio flat situated on the first floor with a large garage space directly underneath which he is converting into a bedroom with an ensuite bathroom.

Sorry laptop is playing up tonight didn't allow me to finish!!. He’s asking for 1 x lighting circuit and 1 x power circuit. His current installation is coming off of an 8 way board with no RCD present which poses me with a small dilemma for which I have thought of several solutions.
Couple of questions, I was thinking of running a 2.5mm2 T&E from the CU to a 2 way sub board with RCD protection, 1 x 6A MCB and 1 x 20A MCB. Sockets will only be running trivial equipment nothing that would ever likely exceed 13A. Would a radial be sufficient for the power?
Installation method is also a factor as he will be putting battens on all the walls and then covering it with 75-100mm insulated plasterboard, I was going to suggest running all cable in oval conduit and then fixing it to the wall, is this the correct way and will it pose any problems as far as cable calcs are concerned??
Cheers

I thought this would get mentioned, I did suggest this as an option and gave him a price on a 10 way split board with overall RCD protection but he'd rather not!! I've checked the regs this evening and it states that there is no need for an RCD on a circuit with socket outlets not exceeding a total load of 20A and it is extremely unlikely it will as it will be powering a tv and an alarm clock and equipment of that nature. the cable will be sunk more than 50mm from the finished surface and will be run within the zones but I thought it best to have RCD protection anyway, and a sub board is cheaper than 2 RCBO's!!

I thought this would get mentioned, I did suggest this as an option and gave him a price on a 10 way split board with overall RCD protection but he'd rather not!! I've checked the regs this evening and it states that there is no need for an RCD on a circuit with socket outlets not exceeding a total load of 20A and it is extremely unlikely it will as it will be powering a tv and an alarm clock and equipment of that nature. the cable will be sunk more than 50mm from the finished surface and will be run within the zones but I thought it best to have RCD protection anyway, and a sub board is cheaper than 2 RCBO's!!

Really - I'd be pushing the customer to change the board AND I wouldn't put in a RCD board for the lights & sockets in the conversion as you won't achieve "inconvenience".

Ok on your suggestion I will bring it to his attention again and strongly suggest he changes the entire board!! excuse my ignorance but not quite sure what you mean by "inconvenience". Assuming I convince him to change the entire board what would your suggestion be then, it would make sense in my mind to just run the 2 circuits needed straight from the board and again would a radial be sufficient for the power??

Ok on your suggestion I will bring it to his attention again and strongly suggest he changes the entire board!! excuse my ignorance but not quite sure what you mean by "inconvenience". Assuming I convince him to change the entire board what would your suggestion be then, it would make sense in my mind to just run the 2 circuits needed straight from the board and again would a radial be sufficient for the power??
Ask the sparks

This is the first garage conversion I've ever done so just wanted to make sure I get it right as far as regs are concerned and also to be a cost efficient as possible.

This is the first garage conversion I've ever done so just wanted to make sure I get it right as far as regs are concerned and also to be a cost efficient as possible.

Am i right in saying you are a trainee , No harm in saying , its just that you need to have the guidance of an Electrician to do this work , on site of course ,,,

The current CU already has a smoke detector installed supplying only one point so I will be replacing the existing detector with interconnected units (1 upstairs and 1 downstairs). I totally understand your scepticism in my ability as my questions are very basic but im just wanting to double check with people who are more experienced than myself, as I am as Ray has guessed new to the industry, but my quality of work is always to a high standard, just looking for some re-assurance that's all!!

The issue we have here really is that you should be an Electrician , because as much as advice can be given this is really meant for qualified electricians , and the work you are proposing requires notification to LABC as well

Reply to Garage conversion ideas?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net