Discuss Garage door wiring kit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, after some advice on garage door wiring, know someone who’s having an electric garage door fitted, I presume it’s just fitting a switched spur and then garage lads will do the rest?

Some just require a socket-outlet. They may also require an unprotected way, no RCD, if there's no other access door into the garage.

Usually.

However, probably quicker just giving the garage door company a call. Maybe included in the quote that they install an FCU for the unit.
Thanks will do, only info I have is they need a supply, I’ll get customer to call as I have seen some that just require a socket outlet so plug and play.
Thanks

Hi,quite a few,now only require a socket outlet,to simplify the fitting process,but any of this size,would probably be neater with the switched spur (neon is a good idea)

Door fitting outfit should have their requirement listed,electrically speaking.

Hopefully,they are more professional,than the team who "nailed" me pals,on. They used mechanical expansion bolts,in the feature quoins,at the rebate...and burst most of them:rage: £600 to replace them,then the same set of fools,turned up again,but this time,they were going to use brown rawlplugs,in the joints and expanding foam:oops:

.....they won't be returning...

Hi,quite a few,now only require a socket outlet,to simplify the fitting process,but any of this size,would probably be neater with the switched spur (neon is a good idea)

Door fitting outfit should have their requirement listed,electrically speaking.

Hopefully,they are more professional,than the team who "nailed" me pals,on. They used mechanical expansion bolts,in the feature quoins,at the rebate...and burst most of them:rage: £600 to replace them,then the same set of fools,turned up again,but this time,they were going to use brown rawlplugs,in the joints and expanding foam:oops:

.....they won't be returning...
Ooooo sounds rough, not good when your spending nearly £1000 possibly more, I’ve had a quick google and yes I’ve seen a couple on requiring a socket outlet but I’ll check with them to see they need.

is the door up and over with a boom and opener or is the motor for the door built in .then a single socket in the centre of the garage for the boom.
most openers comes with a moulded plug .

Some just require a socket-outlet. They may also require an unprotected way, no RCD, if there's no other access door into the garage.

That makes no sense, the amount of access available has no bearing on the requirement for RCD.
If an RCD tripping will trap someone in the garage then so will the MCB tripping or a power cut, so that idea is void.

I'm guessing they mean if someone has intermittent RCD tripping then it will mean nobody can get into the garage. Only applies if the CU is in the garage though surely?

If a roller shutter, the mechanisms typically come with a manual handle that can be used to open or close the shutter in event of a power outage or motor failure, after disengaging the motor (our two pull down/push up with the long handle to disengage/re-engage.
If there is no other means of egress whatsoever, then I imagine a building regulation will deem such a door unsuitable, as it may hinder/prevent escape in case of fire.

That makes no sense, the amount of access available has no bearing on the requirement for RCD.
If an RCD tripping will trap someone in the garage then so will the MCB tripping or a power cut, so that idea is void.

The only reason I could see them including this in manufacturers instructions is if the mechanism uses an invertor or electronics that would nuisance trip an RCD. However the circuit would still have to be installed to comply with all the regs needed to negate RCD protection.

I've seen it on one manufacturers instructions therefore I thought it was worth a mention as most people tend to ignore them anyway.

Agree Tony Mitchell. have had 2 electric garage doors fitted, both up-and-over rather than roller, but only means of access. Key operated from outside disengages the ratchet drive, toggle cord internally does the same...both came with moulded plug, straight into a socket outlet.
Hormann was the manufacturer.

The only reason I could see them including this in manufacturers instructions is if the mechanism uses an invertor or electronics that would nuisance trip an RCD. However the circuit would still have to be installed to comply with all the regs needed to negate RCD protection.

In which case surely they would have to specify a non rcd supply for all installations, not just those where its the only means if access?

Reply to Garage door wiring kit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock