Discuss Garage enclosure in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

The 2.5mm going to the garage - is it off a FCU off the ring? Does it go all the way back to the cu?

Deffo can't use the enclosure you have.

I would look at changing the supply cable for the garage, do some cable calculations to see what you need in there taking into account diversity etc. When you do the EIC for it attach a copy of your calcs so when the assessor comes round you can show him what you have done and why etc, even reference BS71671, OSG etc. This will show him/her you have used the books and designed you installation to the regulations, may sound a little excessive but if you prepare well for this you should have no problems getting a tick in the box.

Due to the twin and earth only having 1.5mm cpc wouldn't it be easier for him to rid the garage and tt it, rcd as main switch obviously?

No.
even with only a 1.5 earth , he will still get a much lower Zs from t&e connected to a TN supply than from an earth rod.
And with no extraneous pipework to bond , pointless.

Hi guys thanks for all the replies!
The garage supply is a seperate circuit with its own mcb. Currently at 32amps, I will be downgrading this to a 20amp when I change the main cu.
I realise that a lot of you have picked up about the earth only being 1.5mm.

There isn't a massive amount of load in the garage it's only supply a pendant lamp and a tumble dryer.

Also this Is off topic now but do the dno charge for fitting an isolator at the main supply? As its only the fuse and want to get it upgraded!

Thanks in advance

You will have to speak to them they may know what type of fuse is there or you could do it yourself if the seals swim off for the day

Is it only me who is worried here?

I do tend to speed read sometimes and I do sometimes miss things, but for a kick off the 2.5 was initially protected by 32A breaker, which suggests that the original install was perhaps not designed to meet the regs, other than the OP telling us the cable is run through joists to the house I have seen little by way of design and calculation, VD, mechanical protection,UV protection ( How is this 2.5 cable protected generally ), all of these ring alarm bells, but I wish him luck, but feel he is a little under prepared TBH.

J

I'm just coming to this installation, the board in the garage needed changing so I have done that, the cable supplying this board is from the main cu in the house.
In terms of mechanical protection, I assume you mean protection from nails screws etc. I'm only going to be able to check this if I pull down all the plasterboard ceiling.
Where the cable enters the garage from the house it runs in conduit into the new board in the garage.
The cable does not run outside its all run inside the house in ceiling void. Cable is rcd protected at the main cu in the house.

Reply to Garage enclosure in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net