Discuss Garage install in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello Guys

Going to be installing power and lighting within a garage.
I have been told the walls will be covered with ply wood once the install is done.
The fuse board and accessories will be mounted on woodern battens.
the only t&e that will possbily require mechanical protection will be for the lights at high level.
Am I correct in saying because they will be higher than 2.25m I dont need mechanical protection?

Hello Guys

Going to be installing power and lighting within a garage.
I have been told the walls will be covered with ply wood once the install is done.
The fuse board and accessories will be mounted on woodern battens.
the only t&e that will possbily require mechanical protection will be for the lights at high level.
Am I correct in saying because they will be higher than 2.25m I dont need mechanical protection?
Twin and earth cable already has mechanical protection.

no it does not, pete. the sheath is not classed as mechanical protection. @OP, cables below 2m and/or in a location ( whatever height ) should have mechanical protection if they may be subject to damage through impact/ chafing/ damage.

no it does not, pete. the sheath is not classed as mechanical protection. @OP, cables below 2m and/or in a location ( whatever height ) should have mechanical protection if they may be subject to damage through impact/ chafing/ damage.
Whats it called then sheath or Mechanical protection? if what you say is correct then why is twecc not covered in mechanical protection when house bashing as an example, now I agree EXTRA mechanical protection may be required in some cases. I have always thought the sheath was a form of mechanical protection. I take your point though. the sheath does form limited Mechanical protection, begs the question why would ypu wire a Garage in TWECC?

Last edited:
The sheath gives mechanical protection to the conductor insulation.

As far as I understand it, the sheath is mechanical protection, however you've got to be sensible and provide extra protection when appropriate, for example I put a feed up the back of an airing cupboard today, put it in trunking due to the stuff being stored on shelves potentially bashing into it over the years.

I have just done a workshop come garage(which was being ply lined)I used plastic conduit and singles
Surely access,protection and future additions is better this way
The low cost difference between it and twin+e must make it more suitable

Reply to Garage install in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net