Discuss Garage panels orientation in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

STEPTOEANDSON

hello to everyone, i am new to this forum.
i have got a question about some solar pv panels i have had installed on my garage flat roof.
i live in leicester and have a garge with a flat roof, i have x4 250W panels on this roof and x8 panels on my house roof,
house roof faces east, garage roof gets shaded by the house at about 5pm, no other shading affecting it, clear all day until 5pm. MY QUESTION IS : which direction should the panels on my garage roof be facing ? and what angle would be best ?
any help would be great. cheers guys
regards steptoe

Ideally all panels should be same orientation and elevation off the one inverter unless it has a dual tracker. 4 panels in a string won't give good results or even work on a dual tracker inverter.

I think I would have chosen micro inverters or solar edge on this job.

hi, thank you for your replies,

yes the inverter is a power one 3.0 , with 2 array inputs.
and they have been fitted to the flat garage roof facing almost directly east, with an angle of nearly 10 degrees.
would this setup give good results or would south facing be better ?
the panels are in two seperate rows, one infront of the other - so i can understand that the front panels could cause shading of the rear panels if they were angled at 30 degrees. does that sound right ?
also dc cables from these panels are cable tied to the ac mains cable that supplies garage sockets. is this ok ?

thanks again for your replies to my questions.

cheers steptoe

Sorting out the orientation of panels on a flat roof isn't as straightforward as saying "just point them south". Space restrictions and shading factors come into play. It may be that east is the only viable direction. What panels do you have?

Reply to Garage panels orientation in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net