Discuss Garage Supply - 2 way metal consumer unit in a seperate garage in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Dunc88

-
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm installing a 2 way metal consumer unit in a seperate garage, the earthing arrangement in the property is TNCS. I am planning to install a new 4mm2 ciruit from the main consumer unit in the house, in 4mm2 swa to a garage consumer unit (5M run of cable).
There are no extraneous-conductive parts in the garage, so can I gland this swa directly into the garage consumer unit and have an RCD main switch feeding 1x 16a & 1x6a mcb? If so, how do I prevent both RCD's tripping (garage & main consumer unit)?
Would RCBO's still trip the RCD back in the main consumer unit?
Could I turn the garage into its own TT system? I could gland the swa into an adaptable box next to the garage consumer unit, & join the earth from the 4mm core to the swa inside that box, carrying the Live & Neutral through into the garage consumer unit, from there I would take a seperate earth down to an earth spike.
Thoughts/advice please!
Cheers

as long as the feed cable from the house CU does not require RCD protection ( i.e. SWA and/or internal feed in house not subject to 522.6.101 then MCB the feed at the house CU. I'd up the cable to 3 core 6mm on a 40A MCB ... 1. to get a bit of discrimination. 2. to allow for increase in load in the future. then tere's only 1 RCD to worry about. and exten the TNC-S to the garage.

No need for RCD in series.
Use a 40A RCBO on the non-RCD side at the house CU.

Assuming the board has non rcd ways.
Thanks for the feedback all! Unfortunately not, no space for an rcbo! Its fed via an mcb on a split load board. It also starts as 4mm twin & earth before entering a weatherproof box (where i'm glanding the swa in), so from there could I not just enter the garage consumer unit and gland the cable straight in? Then just have a main switch as the circuit from the main consumer unit is protected by the rcd?

as long as the feed cable from the house CU does not require RCD protection ( i.e. SWA and/or internal feed in house not subject to 522.6.101 then MCB the feed at the house CU. I'd up the cable to 3 core 6mm on a 40A MCB ... 1. to get a bit of discrimination. 2. to allow for increase in load in the future. then tere's only 1 RCD to worry about. and exten the TNC-S to the garage.
I like this idea, would mean altering the work i've already done slightly, id have to remove the small peice of 4mm twin & earth, & raise the height of the adaptable box on the external wall so i can just run the cable straight into the back of the consumer unit once its glanded in... would mean the main consumer units rcd would trip but at least theres no RCD's in series?

Why do you need an RCBO for the swa?
What do you mean by 'have a main switch'?

I like this idea, would mean altering the work i've already done slightly, id have to remove the small peice of 4mm twin & earth, & raise the height of the adaptable box on the external wall so i can just run the cable straight into the back of the consumer unit once its glanded in... would mean the main consumer units rcd would trip but at least theres no RCD's in series?

Why would the main rcd in the house trip? The rcd protection would be in the garage. I think I'm missing something here.

He has a Rcd protected supply to the garage
He can have a isolator as the main switch in the garage
Pointless TT ing and Rdc ing the garage end if its fed from a household Rcd,it would be a ---- up which pops first

Is ---- as in coin a swear word :)

But as per telectrix why doesn't he feed from an mcb in the house - he's using armoured so no rcd protection needed.

Yes fully agree with not tt'ing.

Well Dunc,It seems to be going round in circles in this thread
The 64K dollar question,can you feed it from a non Rcd protected mcb or no :)

Add
How has the twin and earth feed to the adaptable box been wired

But as per telectrix why doesn't he feed from an mcb in the house - he's using armoured so no rcd protection needed.

Yes fully agree with not tt'ing.

I've got 14 ways at the main consumer unit, all of which are protected by the 2x rcds (7 & 7), so the 4mm comes from one of those mcbs, I was just hoping to avoid it tripping at the house (& knocking off other circuits) but because there is no space for an rcbo/none rcd protected mcb it looks like i'm going to have to just use a main switch & mcb's in the garage and deal with it if a fault does ever occur. To be honest i'm only having a few twin sockets & a couple of lights, just being over cautious!

Well Dunc,It seems to be going round in circles in this thread
The 64K dollar question,can you feed it from a non Rcd protected mcb or no :)

Add
How has the twin and earth feed to the adaptable box been wired

Tricky one isnt it!
I took a 4mm t&e from the mcb and buried it in the wall before drilling it and feeding it directly into the back of the adaptable box on the external wall...

Reply to Garage Supply - 2 way metal consumer unit in a seperate garage in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock