Discuss Garage supply CPC in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hi something strange came up on todays elecsa assessment. my job had a garage suply fed via a spare way in the consumer unit which fed a 5 way garage consumer unit. Now the CPC was sized using the adiabatic equation correctly. He mentioned that as the supply circuit was feeding a C.U with more than 2 ways the cpc in the supply cable was classed as a main earthing conductor and may be undersized, shock horror how can this be,. i then told him how its size had been calculated and he said no more and that it was fine. didnt really understand why the cu having more than 2 ways would make any difference, as the fault current would be dependent on the zs of the supply cable, and we size cpc's and main earthing conductors either by ref to table or via calculation. cant find anything in section 54 bs7671 with reguards to what he was talking about . anyone heard of this ??

Ian I think it boils down to only having one cpc per and not using that cpc for any other circuit. Taking it to another db would class it as an earth and not a cpc. But if the figures work out fine and he's happy with it, happy days.

yes i agree but what baffeled me is the fact that a 2way db would of been ok but because it had 5ways. sizing of main earthing conductors ansd cpc's using adiabatic is the same. just nearly fell off my chair when he siad it lol but as you say all ok

and another day and ive learnt something new so all good.

I wonder if this is a "rule of thumb" type of thing? Without using diabetic equation only 2 circuits are allowed???? Do the maths and if it works out, great?

I've just finished work and in the pub atm, I'll have a look in the books when I get home. This has got me scratching my head.

Its covered in section 543, reg 543.1.2 and its in reference to a protective conductor which is common to 2 or more circuit and not as he explained or you interpreted him but review notes (ii) which allows you to calculate it if you dont wish to follow table 54.7 which then you need to use the most onerous of the values of fault current and operating time of the various circuits when determining the correct size protective conductor..... usually quicker and easier to apply table 54.7 as your values are not normally known if your pricing the job thus not giving you the option to calculate

Last edited:
Taking it to another db would class it as an earth and not a cpc.

Not sure where you're going with that but I wouldn't agree. There is only one Earthing conductor in an installation so distribution circuits will have cpcs.

Its covered in section 543, reg 543.1.2 and its in reference to a protective conductor which is common to 2 or more circuit and not as he explained or you interpreted him but review notes (ii) which allows you to calculate it if you dont wish to follow table 54.7

thats the only thing i could find in relation to what he was saying when i looked afterwards. but as you say that would apply to a 2way cu just as it would to a 5way. no real problem as the cpc was sized correctly just wanted to know what he was refering to thanks.

Ive corrected many a clark of work in my time although they dont like to be proven wrong they usually keep their distance after ;) but as i edited my reply and added the fact that the values needed to use adiabatic equation are not usually known in the design or pricing stage so table 54 allows for worse case senerio and is generally the chosen method.....

So any supply cable up to 16mm that supplies multiple circuits will require a protective conductor to match the csa of the line conductor unless you have measured values to work out the adiabatic equation, but teaching, eggs, suck... comes to mind here hence you got confused regarding 2way board excemption.... id be inclined to ask him to clarify this

Last edited:
Not sure where you're going with that but I wouldn't agree. There is only one Earthing conductor in an installation so distribution circuits will have cpcs.

I'm just going by definition of of cpc and earth mate.

Cpc protects the circuit from the furthest point to the met and the earth starts at the met to the delta/star transformer.

Db1 to bd2 is a cpc and the earth if its supplying 2 or less circuits. If supplying more look at 543.1.2 as DW says. It would be nice to have an answer to this because I've fitted garage dbs with more than two circuits and I would like to know for future.

i agree, in this instance the design calculations were done by myself so i knew the expected fault current so was able to size using the adiabatic. it only came up as i used t+e within the building and swa 3 core outside so the reduced cpc size in the t+e was the factor. other wise the cpc would have complied with the table

as far as i can see as long as the cpc of the supply cable is sized for the pefc/ disconnection time at the second db then there is no problem.

The only thing i would highlight here is you need to know the worst value of the circuits connected to the D.B. when you are doing the calcs and not the supply D.B. supply ELI reading although its not impossible to estimate i tend to find values can differ though from estimated when actually taking the reading at the end of the job as many factors come into play that could raise the resistance value.

if im honhest thats the way i see it its a cpc for the distribution circuit to the garage, to protect that cable. i never would of classed it as a main earthing conductor.
I think that's where it bets a bit "grey" as the earth terminal bar in the CU (when more than one final circuit) can become an EMT (with the possibility of adding bonding etc).

So at what point does a cpc become a main earth for db2?

And why am I getting into this right now whilst in a beer garden?

id just drink my beer lol i really dont think it matters that much as if you size it as a main earth or as a cpc it will be the same using the adiabatic. or if you just make the cpc the same as main conductors you will have a correctly sized cpc or main earth.

as far as i can see as long as the cpc of the supply cable is sized for the pefc/ disconnection time at the second db then there is no problem.
This would be correct if it was supplying one circuit but it is supplying multiple circuits so the most onerous recorded or estimated value has to be taken into account which would usually (not always) be the smallest cpc, as garage circuits usually dont tend to be long runs anyway compliance is usually achievable without the need to upgrade the cpc in the T&E but il stress this isnt always the case.

This is why following table 54.7 from the off is usually the best method less working out and avoids occasions that may catch you out.

I don't think it ever should, but is sometimes misused. If you needed this situation (to accomodate bonding etc at the supplied location) then you should install an EMT and supply a separate earthing conductor from that EMT back to the MET.

Focus on the beer mate! I cried off going coz it was pi**ing down and it's over a mile.

Reply to Garage supply CPC in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock