Discuss Garden circuit design in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

skamuk

In need of a little advice.

My uncle wants some decking lights and a single socket fitted in the shed at the end of the garden.

The CU in the house is old-school, and there are no RCD's present. I wouldn't know where (if) I could obtain one from this era.. so..

I obviously need to RCD protect everything in the garden. Ideally I want to spur off a ring socket in conservatory - drill through the back of the socket to the outside wall, and fit an RCD outside, as I don't want to damage the decorating inside, otherwise I would just chase one in next to the socket inside.

Problem with this is the price of weatherproof RCD's is extortion!

Can I put the RCD in the shed before the socket and lights, but after the 20m SWA run, or does that defeat the object? The cable is 2.5 SWA and is going to be clipped to fence.

Can't seem to find anything on this in the regs.

In need of a little advice.

My uncle wants some decking lights and a single socket fitted in the shed at the end of the garden.

The CU in the house is old-school, and there are no RCD's present. I wouldn't know where (if) I could obtain one from this era.. so..

I obviously need to RCD protect everything in the garden. Ideally I want to spur off a ring socket in conservatory - drill through the back of the socket to the outside wall, and fit an RCD outside, as I don't want to damage the decorating inside, otherwise I would just chase one in next to the socket inside.

Problem with this is the price of weatherproof RCD's is extortion!

Can I put the RCD in the shed before the socket and lights, but after the 20m SWA run, or does that defeat the object? The cable is 2.5 SWA and is going to be clipped to fence.

Can't seem to find anything on this in the regs.

Are you sure this is a good idea?

Just thought about how, when and why an RCD operates and realized what a stupid question I've just asked! :shame:

Better question... Anyone know of a (cheaper than £45) source of external RCD spurs?

Just thought about how, when and why an RCD operates and realized what a stupid question I've just asked! :shame:

Better question... Anyone know of a (cheaper than £45) source of external RCD spurs?

If he's your Uncle isn't he going to be happy to pay a competent relative to install a quality solution?

much easier to run SWA without RCD, then fit RCD and whatever over current devices in a garage board in the shed. alternatively, cut a box in adjacent to the socket carefully and fit RCD FCU there.

much easier to run SWA without RCD, then fit RCD and whatever over current devices in a garage board in the shed. alternatively, cut a box in adjacent to the socket carefully and fit RCD FCU there.

But say for instance he damaged the SWA and the neutral comes in contact with cpc, if the rcd is after the SWA run surely it won't trip?

Last edited by a moderator:
that is true, but SWA does not require RCD protection in itself. the only protection required is for overcurrent and fault protection.

Sorted. running swa to rcd spur (in shed), feeding unswitched FCU to feed lights, using 2 cores of the 4-core swa to run switch live for lights back at the house, same rcd spur also feeding single socket in shed.

Got it sussed i think. Cheers!

Problem. Ran SWA from socket on ring in house, to rcd spur in shed, rcd spur feeding single socket and some low voltage decking lights via switched spur.. RCD spur trips when electricity is restored. My wiring is fine and everything works without the rcd present.. Could it be a problem in the house causing it to trip?

Problem. Ran SWA from socket on ring in house, to rcd spur in shed, rcd spur feeding single socket and some low voltage decking lights via switched spur.. RCD spur trips when electricity is restored. My wiring is fine and everything works without the rcd present.. Could it be a problem in the house causing it to trip?

ha ha ha, come on then list the tests you have done.

The only thing I can think of is the wiring in the house has seen better days, if there was a fault in there somewhere would it trip, if there was a residual current in the cpc? I thought RCD would only detect problems on the outgoing side and not the supply intake?

The phrase 'a little knowledge is dangerous' springs to mind. Alarm bells are ringing if you don't understand the working principles of a residual current device!!

I understand how a RCD works, it monitors the voltage between L-N and if there is an imbalance between the two. The only way there could be an imbalance between the two is if one of them are leaking to CPC am I correct? and an rcd also has a cable that monitors the cpc so maybe this is what is causing it to trip... I don't know for sure this is why i'm here.

I didn't mean I have continuity between L-N L-CPC N-CPC, I tested for it, and got high readings all round. Murdoch asked what tests I carried out not what results did I get.

I'm not a registered electrician, but am at college studying c&g 2365 l2 and have near enough completed this year. Whole reason I'm on here is to seek guidance and learn from people who do have knowledge and experience... otherwise what is the point in the forum? So everyone can boast about how qualified and experienced they are, and have a go at the ones who aren't??

Every time I ask a question on here I get mixed messages, some wanting to help, others just want to harass you about your qualifications. I do appreciate the help. If it wasn't half term this week I would ask at college.

I understand how a RCD works, it monitors the voltage between L-N and if there is an imbalance between the two. The only way there could be an imbalance between the two is if one of them are leaking to CPC am I correct? and an rcd also has a cable that monitors the cpc so maybe this is what is causing it to trip... I don't know for sure this is why i'm here.

No an RCD monitors current not voltage and to answer your earlier a question the RCD spur will not pick up a fault within the house. We dont install an RCD to protect against a neutral to cpc fault within a cable, we install an RCD to give protection for people using the circuit. Hence the SWA alone not needing RCD protection.

Seems like it's wired wrong to me....

Reply to Garden circuit design in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net