Discuss Garden lighting and power in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ampo

-
Reaction score
Hi all, just looking for opinions. A customer of mine has half a dozen par 38 fittings low level down there garden wall. They are past it and the original wiring is t and e thrown on the gravel beds so are desperate for change. Cu is old but these are fed from a rcd switch spur from a local circuit.
I'm quoting to replace these with new par 38 fittings and led lamps, 1.5 swa to a wall mounted adaptable box under each light then flex up. It's a 40m run and I intend on feeding it from the existing rcd spur. At the end of the run currently there is a single socket that is used occasionally to "trim a hedge" (lights are switched on to use it). I have tried to suggest getting rid but the customer wants it. Without running a separate cable all the way there I'm thinking of putting on the end of the armoured run and having a 13a fuse in the spur. With the use of adaptable boxes I wont be pulling any load apart from dedicated through the light fitting. Ok or not ??

alternatively use 4 core 1.5mm SWA, a pair for lights and a pair for socket. use armour for E.

Good idea with the extra cores, I should have explained better, the rcd fused spur is at the beginning of the run so I could use extra cores but I'd need to leave a 13amp fuse in it anyway (via all the lighting to the socket at the end) otherwise the socket will pop a 3a fuse which is what I would normally install. I would split via 2 x spurs (1 3a and 1 13a) at source and then 4 core it but this is already a spur so I'd effectively be allowing 16a potential then. Hope that makes sense

Could it be done with 3 core? L and N through RCD with 13A fuse, then split the live, one side fused down to 3A for the lights. Again, armour for CPC. Unlikely the lights and hedge trimmer will be used at the same time.

Thanks for advise guys, I will use 4 core and as suggested split from the 13a rcd to a 3a rcd spur for the socket. Lights will need to be switched on to use the socket regardless as the 13a feed I have is switched in the house before it gets there but this isn't really a problem, only a few led lights to turn on. It was more me thinking that if I wasnt connecting directly through the lights (via) wagos then there shouldn't be a problem leaving 13a fuse in place for the socket at the end as the lights are effectively fixed load but I'll take what's said into consideration
Cheers

Reply to Garden lighting and power in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net