Discuss Garden Pond Electrics. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
How do you do your garden pond electrics?

example.

Masterplug Weatherproof Outdoor Power Kit. Garden Pond Electrics. Masterplug Weatherporrf outdoor power kit - EletriciansForums.net

Fitted to exterior wall of house, fed via the extension cable supplied in conduit up the wall into loft space into socket outlet.
The pond pump and lights come pre wired and plug into extension inside weather proof box.

Do the pond pump and light cables have to leave the pond then be buried straight away in conduit or can they be on ground level in conduit.
Obviously if my feed cable was going a long way across the garden to the box, I would bury that, but the pond is within 3M of the exterior wall where the weatherproof box is.

Part P 5.7.5 states all electrical connections should be made in robust water-resistant junction boxes having IP rating of IP55 or better. These Weatherproof outdoor power kits state on a sticky label IP54.
Anyone had any dealings with these type of kits?

dunno still trying to get that otter to work what the bloke sold me,said it was a water otter damn things been in years and water,s still freezing.:lol:

Anyone got any advice on this?
The pump flex will be 10M long, and the length from where the flex leaves the pond is 4M max, so after the buried route will still have stacks left over, is it ok to cut it, or does that break manufactors instructions.
would you burry it in earthed conduit, or is solvent weld 50mm waste pipe sufficient.
most people seem to say run armoured across to near pond, but this is near pond and best place for weatherproof box is on house wall

Any advice would be great.

I know regs say armoured cable hurried across grades, but why do I get 10M of pond flex.

they give you a long flex as some people need a long run,should be ok shortening it provided that it is fused on its own fuse with same rating as one in the fitted plug,or as specified by manufacturer,hope this helps

so running the pond flex through burried conduit is ok as per 522.8.10 as long as it is metal to provide equivalent mechanical protection to armoured cable. that is how I interpret this reg.
The builders guide 5.7 says burried cables to be enclosed in conduit or duct, no mention of metal conduit.

I understand that, but is it definitive that I have to use metal conduit? and if so, what size do you guys use, coz metal conduit for underground must be treated for corrorsion, so what types and any links you know of.

I will plump for metal, but just can't seem to find where it states, 'It must be metal conduit or ducting!'

where this will be is low useage land, just a few plants around the pond, and doing it properly with marking tape, correct depth of burrying, good quality plastic conduit should suffice shouldn't it.

Back to this topic again

here are photos of the area.

difficult to get enough depth for buried cable due to knowing where drains are, when putting in the greenhouse, drain for corner of house just under surface of soil.
Have two main drain access panels at far end of greenhouse(end away from pond end) don't know where these go as in regard as layout to houses.
I was think of running armoured down the wall from loft area behind drainpipe down under small area from house to fenceline then back up on surface behind fenceposts and under the greenhouse base into the greenhouse into weatherproof garage unit feeding pond and greenhouse.
Some peeps say earthrod the garage consumer unit, others say no, no extreneous pipe work entering greenhouse,but is it the done thing to earth the greenhouse frame. Don't want to go the earthrod route as drains are the issue.
As usual advice is greatly recievied, just lack of experience in the phsyical layout of these problems.

Red line indicates armoured route.
Black line indicates suspected drain routes.

Cant seem to get any photos uploaded!!

Last edited:
I dont want to dampen your spirits, but if you are an Electrician (i am not implying that your aren't) you should have the OSG, this will tell you all you need to know about burying cables, depths, marker tape and so on. Even if your OSG is not the latest edition, nothing has changed when it comes to burying cables.

Cheers..........Howard

I am fairly new one still gaining expereience, and yes I do know about cable burying, only in this case, the ground is hard and very stony, builders rubble is incovered every where, the pond was a nightmare to dig out, just asking advice as to what others would do in a situation like this. I know I could clip it direct to a wall, but the only wall avialable is not suitable, would then have to remove paving to get cabling across, can't clip it to fence. so not sure what to do, Will have a go at digging, but it will be a struggle.

Sorry, but you have confused me now. You want power to a greenhouse from a garage but you don't know if the garage earthing should be extended from the house or made into its own TT?

Reply to Garden Pond Electrics. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock